What's new

Civilization V on SP2

umm good point, he wasn't specific enough for us to know exactly what memory but from the Civ5 forums:

3# Civilization V “Out of Memory” Error Fix
This is due to deficiency of your Video memory. So reducing the graphics to lower settings may help the cause. If it does not solve your problem then find this value in the config(ini) file, “HideOutOfVRamWarning” and set HideOutOfVRamWarning = 1 using notepad. This should remove the warning message.

It sounds like it's not necessary a warming that will lead to a fatal error, so just disabling the warning might be ok. If you run in a lower resolution that could help too.

And whoever said you shouldn't turn of the pagefile is correct. Windows is very good at moving less often referenced memory to page leaving you a lot more physical memory when needed.

Let us know!

Last edited:

GoodBytes

Well....not exactly :)

Modern OSs implement process memory cache policies that attempt to keep the current "working set" in physical memory while evicting less used code/data to the pagefile. This allows the sum of all process memory to be larger than physical ram while maintaining reasonable performance. In other words, many programs exhibit the behavior of allocating a lot of memory while only using a small set of the memory most of the time. Windows, linux, mac os, etc. all have their own heuristics for tuning their eviction policies.

Pagefiles generally don't exhibit external fragmentation either because they are a fixed size and allocated contiguously on the fast part of the disk, but there are a lot of caveats to this...too much to get into. :)

I know what you're talking about with XP, but from what I remember, people turned off their pagefile to minimize the general overhead related to pagefile management (it takes a long time to push little used code/data to disk, it takes a long time to read that data when it's needed). But the trade off is that everything has to fit into physical memory or you're done. So at the end of the day, it was a classic time/space trade off and people who were tuning for best performance in a specific low memory usage case vs tuning for best performance in the general case, chose to give up space.

yea, I know that. Just try to explain what you said to people who don't have an engineering degree, or a degree in IT. Just showing my challenge, in trying to simplify the whole thing.

OP
K

Korlon

LOL all I wanted was for my video game to work.

Thank you for the lively debate, of which I understood every tenth word. I appreciate it :)

Anyways, turns out through trial and error the problem of the map moving was with my stylus. No Stylus I can operate the game in Windows 8 Comparability mode with the DPI scaling off and ingame config set to max screen resolution.

Or, if I want to use the stylus I can set windows comparability to XP sp3 and use the DirectX 9 option of playing rather than the touch optimized version. Touch still works well in this mode.

Just in case anyone else was wondering how to get it working.

Thank you for your input.

Philtastic

Yeah, don't use the stylus with the touch version! It doesn't work very well! I tried. Just use your fingers for the dx11 touch version. And it should also work with DPI scaling on (assuming that's on by default: I didn't play with my scaling options). DX11 touch with just fingers at 1080p works just fine here.

Edit: here are my settings
CivilizationV_Tablet-2014-02-01-00-46-24-85.jpg

Last edited:

Philtastic

As of today, I discovered a bug that crashes Civ V consistently and that others have had as well: when a diplomatic screen opens with certain civilizations, the game freezes while loading the screen. This is solved by turning the "leader scene quality" video option to low.