What's new

Deterrent to buy the SP3?

kristalsoldier

Take a look at this: Integrated, Smart Connected Devices Fuel Next Era of Computing

James also revealed the world's first 14nm fanless mobile PC reference design from Intel. The 2 in 1 is a 12.5-inch screen that is 7.2mm thin with keyboard detached and weighs 670 grams. It includes a media dock that provides additional cooling for a burst of performance. The innovative design is based on the first of Intel's next-generation 14nm Broadwell processors that are purpose-built for 2 in 1s and will be in market later this year. Called the Intel® Core™ M processor, it will deliver the most energy-efficient Intel Core processor in the company's history1. The majority of designs based on this new chip are expected to be fanless and deliver both a lightning-fast tablet and a razor-thin laptop.

While this was always on the cards, can or should this be a deterrent to those (like me!) who are seriously and actively considering buying the SP3? How do folks who have already bought (booked) their SP3 feel about this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look at this: Integrated, Smart Connected Devices Fuel Next Era of Computing

While this was always on the cards, can or should this be a deterrent to those (like me!) who are seriously and actively considering buying the SP3? How do folks who have already bought (booked) their SP3 feel about this?

That is the Intel Reference Design, while its amazing I wouldn't expect production units till Q2 C2015 (using the last iteration of Ref Design to Production), also at that thinness there won't be an Active Digitizer unless some new solution is found (i.e. Maturation of the App Agnostic Bluetooth Solution).

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

That is the Intel Reference Design, while its amazing I wouldn't expect production units till Q2 C2012 (using the last iteration of Ref Design to Production), also at that thinness there won't be an Active Digitizer unless some new solution is found (i.e. Maturation of the App Agnostic Bluetooth Solution).

You mean Q2 2014! Interesting observation about the Active Digitiser. Thanks.

benjitek

Deterrent to buy the SP3?
I don't think there's such a thing as a deterrent to buy an SP3 -- you either want it or ya don't. A more accurate statement might be that the SP3 isn't a reason to ditch your already purchased SP2 for an upgrade. If it had LTE capabilities, that'd be another story -- I've a feeling the SP4 will be a good reason to sell my SP2 :)

leeshor

I am forever telling people that if they are waiting for something that's supposed to come out in (pick the number of months), you could be waiting forever because by the time that something arrives there will be something else coming out in, (pick the number of months). Unless you have a firm release date to target the rest could be smoke and mirrors.

drolem

In tech, there is almost always something better down the road, and I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if I had ordered an i5 SP3. However, in case of the i7 I would think a bit more because:
a) its higher price
b) its delayed availability

According to Intel Broadwell release date & specs | IT PRO products based on Broadwell should be available by Christmas, and that would require a no later than October intro, and retail sales starting in November.
"I can guarantee for holiday, and not at the last second of holiday," Krzanich told Reuters at the Maker Faire in San Mateo, California.

Since it should be a fairly trivial update as per:
Broadwell chips can be plugged into existing sockets on motherboards. This specifically includes the LGA1150 sockets for desktop motherboards and the mobile Socket G3.
I would expect the next rev of SP3, whatever it may be called -- SP3.1, 3.5, etc., will be on the shelves shortly after the chip is available. It's probably not going to be a silent update like what happened with SP2, however.

It has not much to do with Surface, but it should be noted that Windows 3.1 was the breakthrough version, so "3.1" may be a magic number for MS. ;)

leeshor

I thought it was technically 3.11. I had a thriving business doing networking with Artisoft (who here has any idea)? prior to 3.11, ie WFW.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The thing is that - at least for me - the SP3 is an expensive machine unlike the Surface 2 (which is costly, but in comparative terms, less so). So, upgrading in anything less than 2 years would probably be a bit too much (again, for me).

On the other hand, I was looking at a in many ways comparable machine - the ThinkPad X240. And, I was wondering whether I would have asked the same question if I was buying the X240. Btw, I love the ThinkPad X Series (though the last one I had was the X201, which I loved!). I think I would not spend so much time considering and reconsidering the matter. This led me to ask myself - why am I trying to second-guess myself where the SP3 is concerned? Does it somehow reflect a deep and perhaps under-acknowledged hesitation with the MS hardware strategy (which, has to a large degree of planned obsolescence designed into it)? Would that be a consideration with the ThinkPad? IMO, no, because the latter is in many ways user-upgradeable. I also think much of this has to do with my comfort level with the ThinkPad line generally. Have been using it for a long time. I still have a really rugged ThinkPad R series machine, which I will continue to maintain in a working condition.

Anyways, these were some of the questions I was thinking about in tandem with the Intel's Broadwell claims.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If I were to look at the ThinkPad line I would go with ThinkPad Yoga or X1 Carbon Touch personally....