What's new

Difference in Touch Covers?

Nemesis296

Hi - I'm new here, but I have a question about the Touch Cover.

A few weeks ago, Best Buy had a model of Surface RT on display with a white Touch Cover and I decided to play around with it for a bit. The keyboard was *not* flat. The keys were raised up slightly and there was a definite "feel" to each key as you pressed it, and I swear it was a rubbery-silicon feel to the keyboard. I liked what I tried, and decided to order a black Touch Cover from Microsoft's store last week. When it arrived, I was disappointed to find that it was not the same as what I used before. The keys are definitely flat, and while I originally thought there was a felt-like material compared to the cover I played with at Best Buy it still feels different than what I was expecting to get.

No one seems to have any information about if there are differences between the *colors* of the Touch Cover. Can anyone attest to this? Is the Touch Cover different for the Surface RT than it is for the Pro?

I contacted MS support regarding this and the guy basically was the least helpful representative I've ever dealt with:

Mark: Welcome to Microsoft Customer Service Chat, Joe. Kindly give me a moment to review your question. Is that okay?
Joe: Yep, sure thing.
Mark: I understand you would like to purchase Surface.
Joe: Well I will be on Saturday, yes.
Joe: I purchased a Touch Cover to use with it from the Microsoft Store a few days ago.
Mark: I will do my best to assist you in this regard.
Joe: When I received the product it was a bit different than the demo unit I used at a Best Buy store.
Mark: Joe, you may visit the below link and purchase Surface with Windows 8 Pro.
Mark: Click here to purchase. <link to the 'coming soon' page for Surface Pro>
Mark: I hope that the information I provided is useful. Have I addressed your concern for today?
Joe: No, please re-read my last few responses. This is about the Touch Cover, not the Surface specifically.
Mark: Okay.
Mark: For this particular concern, visit the below link and contact Surface.
Joe: The demo unit that I used had a silcon-feel to it, and the unit I received has more of a felt-feel. I'm trying to understand if there are different versions of the Touch Cover.
Mark: Click here to contact Surface <link to Surface support page, which didn't work properly for me>
Joe: I tried that. I couldn't manage to get the chat to work.
Joe: Choosing "Accessories", and the covers leaves me with nothing to pick for my issue, and it won't give me the ability to chat with anyone.
Joe: Very frustrating if you can't help me either.
Mark: As a Customer Service Representative, I am here to assist you in finding the right place to get help with your concerns and provide resources to answer your questions.
Mark: I hope your issue will be resolved soon.
Mark: Thank you for using Microsoft Customer Service Chat. Please feel free to come back again. We are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

Chat session has been terminated by the agent.

Needless to say, I'm hoping the community here at SurfaceForums will be a bit more helpful than this Microsoft agent was!

OP
N

Nemesis296

Thanks for the responses. How then do you clean it? MS said it's spill-proof but if it's felt-like, I dont see how that's easy to clean.

Also, my black touch cover has a soft material feel to the back of it. Is the same true for the blue/white/red touch covers? Pictures looked more they are similar to the smart cover for the Apple iPad than the touch cover I have.

TeknoBlast

I tend to not sit my touch cover on any flat surface that has liquids or any food particles. If I see anything, I'm smart enough to move to another table or clean it myself. So cleaning it hasnt been an issue with me. If I see any dust of some sort, then I just pat it off like I do when I have dirt on my jeans.

bosamar

The felt is on the bottom of both Touch and Type covers. Top of the Touch Cover felt like soft or semi-soft plactic to me.

Search tags for this page
diff between toouch cover and touch cover 2
differemces touch cover 2

difference between touch cover and touch cover 2

difference surface touch cover
differences between surface covers
microsoft surface touch cover felt
surface touch cover difference
surface touch cover felt
what is the difference between touch cover and touch cover 2
whats the difference between the touch cover 2 and the original?