What's new

DisARMed: Microsoft kills Windows RT - Surface 2 - What went wrong

Steppy

I have only had my Surface 2 since Christmas and I absolutely love it. Its the first non Apple product I have purchased as I have iMac, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV etc., but its the Surface that I pick up most.

Being a gadget lover, the Surface was just going to be a toy, but I am really pleased with how it copes with everything I want to do and I love the fact that I can download files to it, unlike the iPad. I have managed to find all the Apps I need or have on my iPad except for 1 or 2 unimportant ones so I really don't understand why people bang on about the lack of Apps.

Also people say that you can't install full windows programs to the Surface 2/RT, but you can't install full OSX programs on the iPad so what's the difference?

I just hope I haven't bought something that's going to be redundant in a year or so time. I looked at the Pro before I got the Surface 2, but I didn't like the fact it had a fan, the extra size or that it doesn't have 4G capabilities. Installing full programs isn't an issue for me.

I guess time will tell if we will get Windows 10, but to be honest from what I have seen, I prefer 8.1... If we do get Windows 10, would the original recovery partition be overwritten with a Windows 10 recovery partition or would the 8.1 remain intact?

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have only had my Surface 2 since Christmas and I absolutely love it. Its the first non Apple product I have purchased as I have iMac, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV etc., but its the Surface that I pick up most.

Being a gadget lover, the Surface was just going to be a toy, but I am really pleased with how it copes with everything I want to do and I love the fact that I can download files to it, unlike the iPad. I have managed to find all the Apps I need or have on my iPad except for 1 or 2 unimportant ones so I really don't understand why people bang on about the lack of Apps.

Also people say that you can't install full windows programs to the Surface 2/RT, but you can't install full OSX programs on the iPad so what's the difference?

I just hope I haven't bought something that's going to be redundant in a year or so time. I looked at the Pro before I got the Surface 2, but I didn't like the fact it had a fan, the extra size or that it doesn't have 4G capabilities. Installing full programs isn't an issue for me.

I guess time will tell if we will get Windows 10, but to be honest from what I have seen, I prefer 8.1... If we do get Windows 10, would the original recovery partition be overwritten with a Windows 10 recovery partition or would the 8.1 remain intact?
There is an option to copy the Recovery Partition to a USB stick which is highly recommended then whatever they do with the recovery partition you can get back to 8.1 if needed. AFAIK they will replace the recovery partition with Win10 but just about the time you think you know what they will do, it changes. :)