What's new

Poll Do you use SP3 more as a tablet or a laptop?

How often do you use SP3 as tablet/laptop?

• 90-100% as tablet/0-10% as laptop

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • 60-90% as tablet/10-40% as laptop

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • 40-60% as tablet/40-60% as laptop

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • 10-40% as tablet/60-90% as laptop

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • 0-10% as tablet/90-100% as laptop

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • None of the above because I use it as a tray, coaster, etc.

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

nipponham

Considering how Microsoft marketed SP3 as "the tablet that can replace your laptop”, I’m wondering how everyone is using theirs. For me, it would be 65% tablet, 35% laptop. Laptop mode would be higher if it weren’t for the fact that I have a desktop at work that I mainly use when I’m in the office.

I used to leave my old laptop at home or at the office a lot because I was loath to lugging it around. Of course for major business trips I needed to take it with me, but for same-day or overnight business, I would just make do with my iPad Air. Now with my SP3, I’m definitely a lot more productive because I’m actually taking my laptop with me wherever I go and getting things done on the plane, train or a coffee shop.

Another change since getting SP3 is I hardly ever use a pencil and notepad anymore. I use OneNote to jot down notes and the voice recorder to record important details. This adds to SP3 being used as a tablet.

At home, SP3 is mainly used as a tablet. Everything I did with the iPad Air I now do on SP3, so I gave it to my wife. I still have an iPad mini but it hardly ever gets used, (even before I got my SP3). I also let my son draw and paint with it using the Fresh Paint app.

So, how are you guys using your SP3?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Tablet mostly.... tablet to wireless monitor at work using Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, Tablet in the evening...

Laptop about 30% at work.... and around 50% working remotely....

annabanana

I've decreased my use of paper by about 75% since getting the SP3. Funny thing too, when I take notes in OneNote with the pen I remember details better and I can read my terrible handwriting better.

Aurelio

Using as my second computer, much more than a tablet!!

Normally use as tablet during meetings!! Take notes with pen is awesome!!!

Zog1971

My i7 256 SP3 is my whole system--desktop, laptop, and tablet. Since I bought some 3rd party software that allows me to configure the start menu, Windows key, and allows me to run Metro apps in Windows on my desktop, I almost never use the Metro Ui. Except for note taking with the pen, I pretty much always use mine with the keyboard attached or docked as a desktop.

Grumpy2

Mainly as a desktop in the dock or as a tablet. Rarely use the stand. My stand is so tight it is hard to pull out. So do not use it although I guess it will loosen up with time.

nilsk123

i use it as my laptop all day at school and at home. Sometimes in the evenings ill use it as a tablet, but rarely. Soon i'll be buying a docking station so i can connect a screen and full size keyboard, which will replace my desktop. Loving my surface so far.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I've decreased my use of paper by about 75% since getting the SP3. Funny thing too, when I take notes in OneNote with the pen I remember details better and I can read my terrible handwriting better.

This is true in my case too! I have now started using OneNote more extensively than what I used to previously. I use the Pen and I love it!

Jeff Au

SP3 replaced my old Dell Latitude laptop and iPad - yup buying fully into the proposition of one-device from Microsoft. So it's now used more as a laptop for me.

With the occassional tablet use whenever I'm taking notes, floating around the house not doing "serious" work or outside in-between appointments catching up on my readings (Feedly), Zinio etc.

I'll be traveling soon and I used to bring along the iPad for GPS navigation. This time around I should be using the SP3 (in tablet form) with HERE maps (offline).

daniielrp

Mostly as a laptop at work, but then as a tablet at home as it then becomes more a media device.

Like others I use the pen a lot more on this one that I did on the SP2!