What's new

Docking Station

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume they have already planned the connector on SP4, so I assume the SP4 can make use of this somehow. Doubt they would just throw in pins for the sake of it.
Part of compatibility would be not changing anything, so I presume the dock will not change, maybe in the SP5.

I would like to see a differently designed dock, something more compact like the Dell Mobile Dock. Given the side connector on SP3 the dock would have to have an L bracket to mate up, that's just wishful thinking though.

Maybe 3rd parties will figure out how to leverage the Dock Interface and start making useful add-ons.

Kif

What is a normal temperature, I just started using it this morning, it show already 80C?
Is that normal?

Do you have a particular issue with it as a result of the temperature reading such as a constant running fan? I mainly use my SP3 in a docking station and a haven't had any issues. I generally do not run diagnostic tools unless I'm troubleshooting a particular issue. Otherwise it feels too much like my day job. :)

Last edited:
OP
G

GegeNY

No, I don't see any problems, I was just curious to know if 80 C is a normal temperature or a little high.
Thank you for your answer.

Kif

No, I don't see any problems, I was just curious to know if 80 C is a normal temperature or a little high.
Thank you for your answer.

That's totally cool. I was just trying to narrow it down. Copying a large amount of files would crank up the fan on my SP3 as well.

Speaking of heat issues, I recently failed to properly re-attach a heatsink to an i7 proc. When I turned the system on it went from hot to hotter to automatic system shutdown in about 30 seconds. It was ugly.

ptrkhh

I noticed this happening when I leave the type cover on it closed. Once I removed the type cover the extra heat went away. Maybe some heat escapes threw the screen. By the way no air vents are blocked by the docking station.
This is because the fan sucks the air in from the right speaker hole, so the speaker hole doubles as the intake for the fan as well.

Liam2349

This is because the fan sucks the air in from the right speaker hole, so the speaker hole doubles as the intake for the fan as well.

The only intake for the fan is on the top edge of the device, where the power button was on the previous generations of Surfaces. The rest of the top edge, and the side edges where you see the dashed holes are where the air leaves the device.