What's new

Easy way to downgrade back to 8.1 without rebuilding?

Chuck_IV

So after loading Windows 10 onto my SP3, I was extremely disappointed with the tablet mode. Seems like it was almost an afterthought with no real effort put into it.

So, is there a way to downgrade the SP3 without having to rebuild everything from scratch?

***EDIT***

Nevermind. I see there is an easy way within the Update and Securty, Recovery section of setting.

Last edited:

Kif

Downgrading is the correct word. I think Windows 10 is superior in just about everyway.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Downgrading is the correct word. I think Windows 10 is superior in just about everyway.
Downgrading is the correct Microsoft term however, I'm not a fan of W10 and may downgrade as well. I'll give it an honest try but the look and feel are a serious turnoff. This will be harder than adjusting to Win8. I feel like I finally have a legitimate reason to consider Linux.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Downgrading is the correct Microsoft term however, I'm not a fan of W10 and may downgrade as well. I'll give it an honest try but the look and feel are a serious turnoff. This will be harder than adjusting to Win8. I feel like I finally have a legitimate reason to consider Linux.

Hmm, yes I've heard that Linux's touch interface and Pen input and handwriting recognition is much better than Microsoft's....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

malberttoo

So after loading Windows 10 onto my SP3, I was extremely disappointed with the tablet mode. Seems like it was almost an afterthought with no real effort put into it.

So, is there a way to downgrade the SP3 without having to rebuild everything from scratch?

***EDIT***

Nevermind. I see there is an easy way within the Update and Securty, Recovery section of setting.

Just for other reading this thread as well... the easiest way to back to where you were, is to get the free version of Macrium and make an image first, before you upgrade! :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, yes I've heard that Linux's touch interface and Pen input and handwriting recognition is much better than Microsoft's....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p
If you cant get the fundamentals right, the bells and whistles just don't matter.
Oh wait the iPhone proves I'm wrong, except I'm not really.

compnovo

***EDIT***

I thought I had borked the first Win10 installation on my desktop so I used the recovery option and it reverted to 8.1 with no issues. I think it should work just as well on your SP.
(On a side note, the desktop problem was related to my Nvidia video card, which was resolved the next day, and wasn't caused by Win10.)

OP
C

Chuck_IV

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree about not being great in tablet mode, it is different than Windows 8.x but just like those early days with it, there is a learning curve that once mastered provides a superior experience IMHO.

Such as I like the back arrow on the Tablet Mode Taskbar, work much more consistent than swiping ever did...

Kif

Windows 8 UI was a completely disjointed experience. Windows 10 UI is a much more cohesive experience. Microsoft compromised some tablet feature to make a better overall experience. It was the right move for them to make.