When I first got my surface pro, it wouldn't install all the initial windows updates which included firmware update. I got it to install by deselecting the firmware update on the lost of updates and then updated them first and the firmware mysteriously updated. I had to return that unit b/c of an unrelated screen issue and the second surface pro I received was the same way. Out of the box it wouldn't let me install all updates together so I got it installed doing the same thing. I've experienced this issue in windows versions before too so it was no big surprise. Windows update sometimes is to dumb to sort out which updates you can or cannot install at the same time so I just start selecting them individually until it finally works. Not sure if this is your issue, but I figure I would post my experiences in case it helps someone.
Start Notepad. To do this, click Start , and then click Run .
2. Copy and then paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
3. Copy and then paste (or type) the following command lines into the Notepad window:
net stop wuauserv
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
4. On the File menu, click Save As , and then type Rename.bat .
5. Click Save as type , and then click All Files .
6. Save the Rename.bat file to your desktop.
7. Double-click the Rename.bat file to rename the Download folder.
8. Try to install updates again.
9. If the issue is resolved, delete the Rename.bat file that you created in the previous steps.
I called MS Surface Pro support yesterday (1 800 642-7676) and the tech started me down what she said was a long list of things to check - the first being to remove any microSD card.
I was in the middle of a large upload and said I would call them back today. Will see how it goes.