What's new

External battery pack?

adambravo

Now that Microsoft's gone to the microSD connector, I'm wondering about the various external power packs designed primarily to recharge your cellphone. I've got a couple of ~2600mAH packs, and am wondering if any of the larger units (I've seen anywhere from 5000 to 12000mAH) would be able to power up the S3 in a low-battery situation. Thoughts?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
These three from Anker work well and it should be noted that they are rated to output up to 3 amps at 5 volts Although I never observed the Surface 3 drawing more than 2.3A from the battery pack or a charger it's possible it might go a little higher. Two battery packs I tried that were only rated for up to 2.1A shutdown after a while. The response I got from support for one of those packs said the S3 was new and they didn't know if it was/would be supported.

1. Anker Astro E6 Ultra-High Capacity 20800mAh

2. Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh

3. Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12800mAh 3-Port 4A

Although I have not tested these I'm confident given their 3A rating they would work also.
Anker 2nd Gen Astro E3 Ultra Compact 10000mAh 3A

Anker 2nd Gen Astro E4 13000mAh 3A

I cant say about others with lower ratings. In theory they would just charge slower and not shutdown like the two I tried but unless you test them you wont know.