What's new

Firmware Update 6/19/2014 again?

YKinase

I just checked on windows update and the Firmware Update from 6/19/2014 installed today 7/2/2014. I checked my logs and it had installed when I first set up my SP3 on 6/20/2014. Anyone else see this behavior?

Did you mess around with any of the Drivers (Wireless or Video)? Because the Firmware includes drivers. I find if I modify I get offered them again....

I have similar experiences on the SP2 (my pre-ordered SP3 is not yet released.) And I don't recall messing with the drivers except when a patch Tuesday did so. In my case I can see 4 firmware loads since October (Oct 24, Feb 11, Mar 11, Jun 10), with the firmware reinstalling itself 3 times in June 2014 (June 10 version), 10 times of the 11 May version (2 to recover from a failed install, and one to recover from a Feb install over a March 2011 install), 6 times of the Feb 2014 install and 4 times of the October 2013 version.

While this seems odd and truth be told I was a bit confused and apprehensive at the outset, there seems to be no pattern nor negative impact on the operation of the machine. In fact, had I not looked at the update history I would not have even suspected that many firmware reinstalls.

The only driver issue I have had with SP or SP2 was the Marvell drivers, which I see may not have been solved yet. Hopefully by the end of this month when my SP3 i7 256 arrives all Marvell issues will be in the past.

Did you mess around with any of the Drivers (Wireless or Video)? Because the Firmware includes drivers. I find if I modify I get offered them again....
I've not done anything with the drivers. However, two days ago the SP3 locked up when I was using OneNote. The screen dimmed a bit and the fan wound up. I finally forced a shut down. When I restarted, I saw the dreaded thermometer. After 60 sec, I restarted and it booted. I doubt that had an effect, but that's the only out of the ordinary thing that happened.

FWIW, I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool along with RealTemp to monitor how the processor temp. At peak, the processor was 86 degrees. I just re-ran it and it peaked at 77 degrees.

Back