What's new

Firmware update today

cemian

Well after installing the firmware update I have been ocassionally seeing artifacts on the screen...random dots basically appearing and disappearing on the screen...like when the graphics chip gets too hot...this can't be good :(

wditters

Strange .. mine has been running ever so smoothly since the update. And as opposed to Ed Tittel, I actually got Intel Graphics 10.18.14.4156 offered to me by Windows Update. No BSOD, no screen artfifacts, no leafblower, no pen issues ... In fact I am beginning to wonder whether or not I might actually have a fake Surface Pro 3 :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
More evidence to support my theory that Windows Update produces random results. Most are fine while others get strange symptoms from BOSD to screen artifacts and leaf blower mode. Registry corruption???

Windows needs more "Reset to Defaults" Options in Control Panel preferably one for every subsystem at the least. Plus configuration diagnostics to compare settings *Now* vs Last week, last month to determine what changed. The Registry is a huge convoluted mess and some of the stuff in there probably doesn't belong in there. It needs a complete rethink, overhaul, and streamlining.

bluegrass

Everyone will have different apps and processes started right after logging on to their Surface. These differences all play a part in why so many different experiences with their computer. I think Greyfox is on to something. It would be great to have button everyone could click on that puts you at a baseline so everyone could have at least a close to equal experience. Than we would be able compare apples to apples instead of apples to lemons. There would be some differences because of various hardware configurations.