What's new

FreedomCase - many multiple angles, while slim & protective,

phubai

I appreciate the heads up on this. Looked good enough for me to throw $49 at them as well. Simple, yet elegant solution. Hope they do well.

clyde2801

I'm in for leather as well. SO looking forward to this.

Really getting into my SP. But coming from 'eye' devices, there really is a dearth of accessories for this; this should hopefully bridge the gap somewhat.

It's also nice to help someone starting out on a new business venture. I hope the funding also allows him to patent and trademark the heck out of his design.

oion

Only a few days left.

I decided to get one because even if I don't end up using it for my Surface 2, a free case is always a nice touch for resale. ;)

beq

I pledged 4, but does anyone have the answer to these questions:

do the measurements of less than 3mm in thickness and less than 10 oz in weight also apply to the PU Leather version, or is that version actually a bit thicker/heavier than the standard PU?

Which version is easier to wipe clean (I like to use alcohol cleaning wipes)?

And do both have similar "grip"? One of the things I don't like about the naked Surface is how slippery its backside is, both in my hand and when lying on the sofa (at an angle)...

Also would like to know if the FreedomCase (specifically its kickstand pocket) would fit Surfaces that have a skin film applied to the sides and back?

There are a gazillion of those skins, some clear/transparent while others are opaque decals, some applied wet others dry, many brands from stickerboy, decalgirl, skinomi, armorsuit, bodyguardz, etc. I'm not much into decorative looks, so the only reason I'd put one on would be for the extra grip of the material.

Anyways, should we remove any skin before inserting the Surface into the FreedomCase?

oion

I'm guessing the weight/thickness differences between the two are very negligible. The PU Leather version doesn't look like the first suedey-matte type, so I went for the PU Leather as it looks wipe-able to me (I also like wiping my stuff down); for the "grip" part, I'm guessing the standard black matte version has more than the PU Leather, but either would be more than just the naked back. As for the skin on the kickstand when inserted into the pocket...yeah, no idea there.

Chris has an account here, so maybe a PM can reach him if he's not answering on the Kickstarter, or try the official website contact form (and email).

chrisleung

Hi everyone -- thanks so much for supporting the FreedomCase. Thank you Pastor Shaw for starting this thread.

I developed the FreedomCase and am happy to answer your questions.

do the measurements of less than 3mm in thickness and less than 10 oz in weight also apply to the PU Leather version, or is that version actually a bit thicker/heavier than the standard PU?

The two versions of the case will be approximately the same weight and thickness.

Which version is easier to wipe clean (I like to use alcohol cleaning wipes)?

We don't recommend using harsh cleaning solutions like those that contain ammonia or alcohol as they may damage the case material. We recommend using a wet cloth and, if needed, a mild cleaning solution, or a cleaning solution like Simple Green which is safe to use on wide range of materials.

And do both have similar "grip"? One of the things I don't like about the naked Surface is how slippery its backside is, both in my hand and when lying on the sofa (at an angle)...

Both cases will certainly give you more grip than the naked Surface! We've also made it a point to select the materials with slightly more grip.

Also would like to know if the FreedomCase (specifically its kickstand pocket) would fit Surfaces that have a skin film applied to the sides and back?

As long as the skin doesn't add a significant amount of thickness, it should be fine for use with the FreedomCase.

I hope this answers your questions! If there's anything else, just let me know.

be77solo

Backed for a PU Leather version last month, look forward to trying it! Was a bit disappointed when they announced the success was causing about a month delay... also thought the jump to requiring $150k for custom options was a bit excessive when they only needed $40k to manufacture from scratch.

Looks like it should be a pretty good case, will know more after living with it of course.