What's new

Game Controllers! Will anything besides the official Xbox controller work?

Matthew

I traded my Surface RT in and I'm going back for a Surface 2.
What's the deal with game controllers?

I know that Sean Ong guy got an xbox controller to work. I think it has to be the wired one though.

I tried my ps3 controller on the Surface 1, and yeah... you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that didn't work.
(Side note- the bluetooth won't pick up the ps3 system at all if you're interested)

I also have a ps2 controller hooked to a usb adapter that I use for pc games. That didn't work either.

So I'm looking at this controlled now...
Power A Mini Pro EX Controller for Xbox 360 CPFA010027|CPFA010027 - Best Buy
Amazon.com: Mini Pro EX Wired Controller for Xbox 360 - Blue: Video Games
The Power A - Mini Pro EX Controller for Xbox 360

It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the official controller. It's 3rd party but it IS licensed by Xbox. So that's something.

So has anyone tried any game controllers and gotten them to work?

kundas1

I saw on here another member (forget who it was) said he used a Logitech gamepad (don't know which one) that worked perfectly...

bitbank

I believe that any controller that is compatible with the Xbox 360 will work fine since it uses the same driver as the original 360 gamepad

You can use any HID controller (bluetooth or USB). Is there some reason you think you need to have Xbox 360 compatibility?

OP
M

Matthew

Thanks! Currently 20 bucks on amazon!
But here's my question... There's a video on youtube of a guy reviewing Surface games. He had a game controller working on his Surface RT, but then, for some reason, the controller didn't work on the Surface 2. He couldn't figure it out. So I was wondering if anybody has tried that controller on the Surface 2?

might need some additional research but I believe the ps4 controller will work

What? Why? Why would you think that when the ps2 AND ps3 controller didn't work? Not to mention that the microsoft store still isn't carrying the official psn app. These companies don't play well together. So WHY would you think the ps4 controller would suddenly work?

I believe that any controller that is compatible with the Xbox 360 will work fine since it uses the same driver as the original 360 gamepad

Ah ha! But here's the thing... Look at that amazon link and go to the 1 star review. Somebody is complaining about weird drivers for use on the pc but it works fine on the xbox. So where does that leave the Surface? On the pc side? Or the xbox side?

You can use any HID controller (bluetooth or USB). Is there some reason you think you need to have Xbox 360 compatibility?

No, the ps3 bluetooth controller doesn't work. My ps2 controller/with adapter, that works on all the other pcs I have, doesn't work. There's the youtube video of a controller working on the RT but not the Surface 2. So, I don't know of a solid standard to say what controller will work and what controller won't work. That's why I started this thread.

josekov_1008

In a full Windows device any controller or joystick would work, since you can manually install its driver, for a Windows RT device such as the Surface RT/2 the Xbox 360 controller driver is included in the O.S., hence no additional driver is needed, That's what happens when you try to connect a PS3 controller, Windows RT can't find a driver that is compatible with it.

bitbank

Any standard HID controller will work. Windows RT supports bluetooth and USB devices that adhere to the HID standard - keyboards, mice and game controllers. PS3 wireless controllers are not standard HID controllers (although they should work when connected via USB).

OP
M

Matthew

Any standard HID controller will work. Windows RT supports bluetooth and USB devices that adhere to the HID standard - keyboards, mice and game controllers.
This video seems to suggest that you're wrong...

[video=youtube;PKNUj7EhLto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNUj7EhLto[/video]

PS3 wireless controllers are not standard HID controllers (although they should work when connected via USB).

No they won't! I tested this myself. They will NOT work.
Stop spreading misinformation!

Post facts and/or evidence please.

kbagrows

Full disclaimer - I have a Surface RT running 8.1, NOT a Surface 2. That being said, I recently purchased a Logitech F310 from BestBuy, and pricematched Amazon's 19.99 offering. The controller works flawlessly with my RT and my windows 8.1 desktop. I have been using it to play Halo SA on my RT, along with various emulators (SNES and NES games). The controller has also worked flawlessly with my Steam games, such as Portal and Darksiders.

I really like the controller. The triggers are a little funny, and the directional pad "floats" a tad, but overall it has a really nice feel for a $20 controller. It also has a toggle switch for Xinput and Dinput, and is recognized as an Xbox controller on both machines - no drivers were necessary. Just plug and play. I don't see why it would be any different for a Surface 2.