What's new

Heat, Battery, and the coming i3

M

ManUnited

I've read in other threads that the SP3's heat and battery life has raised issues with a few people. However, I wanted to ask three questions of those who already own as I am still deciding.
  1. Is the heat that noticeable when using Metro apps or standard desktop programs (aka Office) or does the heat only kick in when using processor-intesive programs.
  2. Same line of questioning from No. 1 — Does the battery life vary when using Metro vs. Desktop?
  3. Will the i3 improve either No. 1 or No. 2 since it's a slower processor with less throttling?
Thank you kindly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read in other threads that the SP3's heat and battery life has raised issues with a few people. However, I wanted to ask three questions of those who already own as I am still deciding.
  1. Is the heat that noticeable when using Metro apps or standard desktop programs (aka Office) or does the heat only kick in when using processor-intesive programs.
  2. Same line of questioning from No. 1 — Does the battery life vary when using Metro vs. Desktop?
  3. Will the i3 improve either No. 1 or No. 2 since it's a slower processor with less throttling?
Thank you kindly.
IMO these issues are overblown. I used the SP3 on battery continuously for nine hours with no noticeable heat issues. I'd say during this time my use exceeded what an average office user would do. clearly it depends on what your doing and if doing the right things or running some apps your mileage will vary.

I also ran battery test app for three hours and it used 25% of the battery during that time again with no heat issues this test ran in a loop doing web browsing, email, image editing, and playing a video.

OP
M

ManUnited

I used the SP3 on battery continuously for nine hours with no noticeable heat issues.

You got nine hours on battery? That is very reassuring. Most of the posts I have seen on the subject claim six to seven hours on battery.

ipaq_101

The only time I have seen the SP3 heat up is when I play my vegas slots on facebook and this is due to flash, because I tested the game on my older laptop and same thing, the core temps went up on that too. For everything else, the fan doesn't even come on.

I think on average I get 8 hours easy.

Last edited:

malberttoo

I agree, this issue seems to be a bigger problem than it really is.

With my screen at 35% (which I was surprised to discover is very usable) I routinely get 9 and 10 hours on battery, just surfing.

The heat issue, really is just like any other laptop out there. It will get warmer and cooler, depending on how processor intensive your task is.

You do have a return period, so my advice would be to just get one, and see how you like it! :)

OP
M

ManUnited

Has anyone tried the following:

Trading In The Whiteboard for OneNote and a Surface Pro

This is something that I would love to employ in my University classes. Since Microsoft updated OneNote for Mac yesterday, our students (both PC and Mac) will be able to sync my notes through their OneDrive for Business accounts. In addition, they can develop their own notes for peer editing.

I am looking at the SP3 as my classroom device (over my current MacBook Pro-Retina). I would love to annotate documents, slides, PDFs, screenshots as well as capture audio podcasts and some video as the teacher above does. Having all that material synced to my students chosen devices seems like a wonderful opportunity to extend my class.

OP
M

ManUnited

You do have a return period, so my advice would be to just get one, and see how you like it! :)

I know. Sadly, the gentleman I deal with at our local Best Buy is a former student on mine. Every time he sees me, he asks, "what are you testing now?

mrpercyfrazier

Thank you kindly.

The heat can get horrible. Especially when they said this thing barely gets warm. I connect cable from SP3 to my TV and the thing can cook an egg. No other processing is happening. It gets hot! Go to the store and try one out. Run a couple things and see for yourself.

I think it gets hot as heck no matter what you do.

I can't comment on your # 3 question. I don't think the i3 is out yet. Test for yourself. That's the safest bet but yes this thing gets hot! I'm feeling the back right now.

I never once got 8 hours battery. I would go to store, open up a couple apps, and let 5 minutes pass and see the drop. The battery is average if that. You will need to carry your wall charger with you for sure.

OP
M

ManUnited

The heat can get horrible. Especially when they said this thing barely gets warm.

Thank you for your reply. I guess this is what has me confused — the wildly different responses I have read on the forum. One poster states the heat barely registers and then you state the opposite. To make matters worse, I have no doubt everyone is telling the truth.

The same goes for the battery. Very different results.

If anyone who has more industrial knowledge than I do would like to comment, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Cheers.

mrpercyfrazier

Thank you for your reply. I guess this is what has me confused — the wildly different responses I have read on the forum. One poster states the heat barely registers and then you state the opposite. To make matters worse, I have no doubt everyone is telling the truth.

The same goes for the battery. Very different results.

If anyone who has more industrial knowledge than I do would like to comment, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Cheers.

I think what will help you is to go to a store and spend a good 30 minutes with the device itself. Seriously. You're going to get mixed answers. It's technology. People say the display it amazing. Others had to return their device 7 times because of huge yellow lines running down the left side of the screen. It's all relative.... Go to the store. Unplug the charging cord and make note of the battery level. Play on it like you normally would. After 15 minutes take another look at the battery level. That's going to be your best advice. Seeing from yourself.

The heat thing... I mean, I dunno. It varies. The device is pretty amazing depending on what you use it for. Don't get me wrong. The problem with the marketplace are the options...... There are literally hundreds. But I tell you what, whatever choice you make is going to be the right one.

You really need to get some in store hands on. And like others have said, when you purchase it, you have 30 days to take it back if it's not for you. Microsoft's customer service has got pretty darn good so you should be in good hands.

You should be taking your charger with you anyways. Better safe than sorry, always.

Let us know what you decide!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you have three people here with good results and one not. look at posting history to see if they are believable. Take the test... go to a store and open a couple apps see if the battery visibly drops for no reason in a couple minutes... decide for yourself. Ask the store rep to install Tabletmark v2 from the store and see if these test uses about 5% battery per 30 minutes or if its 10% in 5 minutes.

BillsCarnage

Thank you kindly.
Claims of heat are not overblown. It depends on how you use the SP3 and how the system is taxed. I've had plenty of instances where the thing feels hot enough to "cook an egg."

Most metro apps I've used don't cause much heat. Asphalt 8 heats the SP3 up real fast. I've had other apps such as AppGeek warm it up. OneNote or many of the drawing apps won't generate any heat.

Various sites in Metro IE will cause heat. There's a lot of background stuff websites do that can cause this. Sites that have some Flash object running causes heat. Heck, typing this up in Metro IE has the fan running at a low level.

Desktop apps are the same - it depends. A lot of the media dev apps I use create a lot of heat, but Office, hardly any.

I've also had instances where I plug in the SP3 to charge, walk away for a moment, come back and the fan sounds like it's maxed from the heat. Even though only an app like Mail might be running, I go into task manager and kill the other apps. The heat goes away and the fan shuts off after a min or so.

So, discussions about heat are not overblown; it's just relative to your usage.

As for battery, it's the same thing, but I generally get 6-7hrs of usage. Less if i'm using it straight though with a project.

As for battery life with an i3, I think there's been reports of 15% or so. I always preach the i5/8gb is the sweet spot for this device.