What's new

help! Type cover not working on my unit :(

nipponham

OK, so we know that it's not a driver error. Can you open up "Other devices" in Device Manager and show what's there? Does it show "Unknown device"?

ETA:
Strike that. I just noticed you don't have "Other devices" in your pic. Run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated prompt to repair any corrupted system files, reboot, then do a 2-button shutdown all with the type cover detached. Boot up SP3 and then attach the type cover to see if it recognizes it.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, so we know that it's not a driver error. Can you open up "Other devices" in Device Manager and show what's there? Does it show "Unknown device"?
Actually you can see in the posted screenshot the other devices node is not present meaning they're aren't any.

It would seem either the cover is dead or the port is dead.

nipponham

Actually you can see in the posted screenshot the other devices node is not present meaning they're aren't any.

It would seem either the cover is dead or the port is dead.
Yes, my mistake. I just noticed there was no "Other devices" from the op's pic. Cover shouldn't be dead since it worked on the op's friend's device. The port on the other hand... I would double check to make sure that it's totally clean so there's nothing interfering with a clean connection with the type cover.

OP
S

sleekool

20150415_235620.jpg

hi nipponham. thank u so much for taking time to help me with my problem. as u will see in the screenshot above, i tried as u suggested but type cover still isn't recognized. :(

ETA:
Strike that. I just noticed you don't have "Other devices" in your pic. Run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated prompt to repair any corrupted system files, reboot, then do a 2-button shutdown all with the type cover detached. Boot up SP3 and then attach the type cover to see if it recognizes it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, my mistake. I just noticed there was no "Other devices" from the op's pic. Cover shouldn't be dead since it worked on the op's friend's device. The port on the other hand... I would double check to make sure that it's totally clean so there's nothing interfering with a clean connection with the type cover.
Yes, my mistake. I totally missed the cover worked on friends Surface bit... That pretty much clears up the who's at fault question. Time for some R&R (Return & Replacement).

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
About two months ago my cover wasn't working, though another cover I own did. Close inspection revealed some tiny metal shavings, such as from drilling through steel, clinging to the cover connection buttons. Came from the carpet, I believe.

Cleared the debris, and all was well.

Do likewise. And try to borrow someone's cover, such as in a cafe or library or computer shop.

nipponham

@sleekool
There's been a lot of complaints about the type cover not working, (including from me), but it's never been an issue of it not being recognized by SP3. I've never heard of a dead type cover port and a quick Google search doesn't bring up anything either. However, after everything you've done and with the cover still not being recognized, it does seem like a strong possibility that the port is indeed dead. Your keyboard back-light not working indicates that it's not receiving any current from the port and reinforces this. If that's the case, the only option you have is to exchange your machine for a new one, like GreyFox7 mentioned.

Nys299

Use a small brush to brush the contact points instead of using a cloth as sometimes the cloth cannot reach between contact points.

OP
S

sleekool

Use a small brush to brush the contact points instead of using a cloth as sometimes the cloth cannot reach between contact points.

Done this too, to no avail.. :(

@sleekool
There's been a lot of complaints about the type cover not working, (including from me), but it's never been an issue of it not being recognized by SP3. I've never heard of a dead type cover port and a quick Google search doesn't bring up anything either. However, after everything you've done and with the cover still not being recognized, it does seem like a strong possibility that the port is indeed dead. Your keyboard back-light not working indicates that it's not receiving any current from the port and reinforces this. If that's the case, the only option you have is to exchange your machine for a new one, like GreyFox7 mentioned.

Exactly why I feel so "lucky" :(
Appreciate all the help though! :)

gkchowdavarapu

Hi
I also bought surface pro type and tried to connect and its not working, I have surface pro3 version 8.1 and surface pro type cover and from this thread I tried to run sfc /scannow and it asking to run from adminstrator account.
Please help.
Many thanks in advance for your kind help.
Regards
Gopala