What's new

Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic runs with all settings on high

Turbo4AWD

So, I was finally able to purchase Homeworld Remastered on Steam thanks to the sale they had just before Black Friday and decided to be brave enough to load it up on my Surface 3. The game was made in 1999 and the system requirements were a Pentium 3 processor and an Nvidia Graphics card with 32mb of ram (lol).

My biggest complaint about the iPad/Android tablets is that the games just aren't as rich as Windows games are. There are no tablets on the market that have RTS games where you manage hundreds of highly detailed/textured forces and send them into battle and watch the chaos/explosions in battle while you figure out how many more forces you need to build/create and how much resources will need to be collected etc.

Since the Surface 3 has full blown Windows 10 I decided to install Homeworld Remastered and try playing the Classics ONLY. Luckily, after some file editing to fix the screen resolution options to allow high res choices, I was able to successfully play both Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 classic with all settings on high. There is no slowdown or lockups and I am currently going through the story mode on my Surface 3.

So glad the classics can be played and run super smooth!!! Starting to fall in love with my Surface 3. lol.

Dmcgrath009

haha thats great!

I need to install steam on it again. i purchased Homeword remastered a while ago, now I'm glad it comes with the classic versions! what edit did you make to get the resolution worked out?

I have Red Alert 2 running on the Surface 3. Runs great no issues so far.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

haha thats great!

I need to install steam on it again. i purchased Homeword remastered a while ago, now I'm glad it comes with the classic versions! what edit did you make to get the resolution worked out?

I have Red Alert 2 running on the Surface 3. Runs great no issues so far.

You have to disable "DPI Scaling" in properties for the executable first, then you have to find the file: PLAYERCFG.LUA

in the folder:

\steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\bin\profiles\profile1\

scroll to the bottom of the file to find the lines:

screenResolutionW = 1920
screenResolutionH = 1080

*You have to change the resolution settings. I just have my settings here to make it easy to copy/paste into the LUA file for Homeworld 2 Classic on your Surface 3

Last edited: