What's new

How to change network security key

I tried to input the network security key for my new place of employment, and got it wrong. Now it just keeps trying to use the wrong one. It doesn't give me the opportunity to change it, how do I do that?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I cannot replicate your problem by using an incorrect key. If I enter a wrong key, then it simply throws up the enter key again. The only way it doesn't do this is if I enter the right key.

I also found that I could only forget connections that I already have the right key saved for (right click -> forget network)

Are you sure the key is wrong? As in is it not connecting to the network entirely, or is it connecting to the network but is not being granted access to internet etc? (not sure if you are talking about a mom and pop business or a large company using domains and all that hocus pocus)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, the devil in in the details. :)

So what exactly happens when you try to open IE and connect to the Internet? Did you try "Fix Connection" or "Network Diagnostics"?

Try that "forget network" also but it will keep prompting you if the key is wrong. Did you talk to whoever set it up they may have additional requirements to meet.

OP
B

brocharlieb

Thanks, y'all, had to go to ISP, but got it figured out. They changed the network name and the security key, using what they gave me I got right on.