What's new

How to tell if fan is running

buers

As a computer chess programmer, I think that the SP3 is not very well suited for computer chess. Typically computer chess engines will use all CPU resources they can get and will try to keep them working all the time (even when it's your move). This is at least true, when set to max strength or when analyzing games. Using 100% CPU on all cores for an hour or more, seem not to be the conditions, that are best for this format of a computer. It is getting very hot very fast here under these circumstances.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a computer chess programmer, I think that the SP3 is not very well suited for computer chess. Typically computer chess engines will use all CPU resources they can get and will try to keep them working all the time (even when it's your move). This is at least true, when set to max strength or when analyzing games. Using 100% CPU on all cores for an hour or more, seem not to be the conditions, that are best for this format of a computer. It is getting very hot very fast here under these circumstances.
This program would never fly (have flown) on Apollo 13 or any Apollo mission ... not battery efficient. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That type of programming is detrimental on any mobile computer, why would one even code that way for a client?

buers

That type of programming is detrimental on any mobile computer, why would one even code that way for a client?

Slightly off topic .... Not sure I understand your question. One is coding that way to make the program as strong playing as possible. Users like to compare different chess programs, by letting them play vs. each other. A program using 100% CPU will be able to analyze more positions in the same amount of time, than a program using CPU moderately at say 5% and will in general be able to find better moves. (vs. most humans, it will not make any difference, and they will be rather chanceless. Still club players like to have their own human vs. human games analyzed by the strongest chess programs - world champions included)

Well, hardly any battery will last long under these conditions. I have a Dell Vitro i7. In the last 1.5 years it was running about half of the time at almost 100% CPU on all 8 logical cores. Of course it is connected to external power, and the fan is running all the time at max speed. When I see CPU dropping under 90%, I know, that I can strengthen the program, by optimizing the algorithm to analyze more chess positions in those unused CPU cycles...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly off topic .... Not sure I understand your question. One is coding that way to make the program as strong playing as possible. Users like to compare different chess programs, by letting them play vs. each other. A program using 100% CPU will be able to analyze more positions in the same amount of time, than a program using CPU moderately at say 5% and will in general be able to find better moves. (vs. most humans, it will not make any difference, and they will be rather chanceless. Still club players like to have their own human vs. human games analyzed by the strongest chess programs - world champions included)

Well, hardly any battery will last long under these conditions. I have a Dell Vitro i7. In the last 1.5 years it was running about half of the time at almost 100% CPU on all 8 logical cores. Of course it is connected to external power, and the fan is running all the time at max speed. When I see CPU dropping under 90%, I know, that I can strengthen the program, by optimizing the algorithm to analyze more chess positions in those unused CPU cycles...
So you are comparing the performance of a desktop replacement laptop to an Ultrabook class tablet? The type of number crunching should be done on Workstations or Server Class Machines not thin and light machines or if you want it to function better on these types of machines consider moving to PaaS model and allow something like Azure to do the crunching without killing the battery life.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, you wouldn't use your electric toothbrush to cut down trees or a lawnmower for giving a haircut but that doesn't mean those tools aren't good for their intended purpose. :)

buers

hmm - I wrote, that I think, that the Sp3 is not well suited. I believe, I know very well why. I tried to explain why. you asked a question. I again tried to answer - I hope in a polite way (it is not my native language, as you certainly have recognized). I have in no way complained about the sp3, just explained. no idea, why you don't like it ...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
hmm - I wrote, that I think, that the Sp3 is not well suited. I believe, I know very well why. I tried to explain why. you asked a question. I again tried to answer - I hope in a polite way (it is not my native language, as you certainly have recognized). I have in no way complained about the sp3, just explained. no idea, why you don't like it ...
I'm just attempting to understand the line of the post and expectation, I will standby my assertion of that type of number crunching is ill suited to any mobile computer...