What's new

I give up, how does the SB's clipboard attach?

Ryan0751

I have been curious as to how the SB's clipboard attaches to the base.

I understand how the muscle wire mechanism works, how it pulls a latch mechanism, neat.

What I don't understand is how it attaches to the base. The two pieces on either side of the display are just smooth metal tabs. Is this some sort of friction mechanism?

I just want to know how it really works!

OP
R

Ryan0751

Of course... but how is the clipboard actually latching to those tabs?

I'm curious as to the mechanism. Those tabs dont have a slot or anything to latch onto.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2016-11-13_18-37-51.png

OP
R

Ryan0751

I'm well aware of the muscle wire lock in the clipboard. Pull the clipboard off and look at your base.

What does that lock in the clipboard actually lock into on the base...

Wayne Orwig

I'm convinced that it is a sprag clutch type arrangement. You can see a mark on the back of the post from it, and you can sort of see it inside the clipboard. It appears to have a small roller in the hole of the clipboard. The harder you pull on it, the harder the roller pinches the post. The muscle wire levers then release the pressure enough for it to pull apart.
Sprag clutch - Wikipedia

Edit : From the iFixIt site where they did a teardown: "That lower arm holds a very tiny rod captive. The rod serves as the grip, that holds onto the base unit's metal tab. When the linkage is retracted, the rod rolls out of the way and lets the base go".

Last edited:

wynand32

So, just got a Surface Book. Loving it so far, even compared to my SP4.

One question: just how loud is everyone's screen when it detaches? Mine is a pretty loud click, don't remember demo units I've played with being quite so loud...

wynand32

The click you hear is just windows playing a sound, since the mechanism itself is silent.

Huh. Okay, thanks! I didn't realize the sound would play when the system volume was turned down, but I guess it makes sense that it would.