What's new

I have finally become a pen user...want a drawing tablet, suggestions?

ericspt

Partly Surface related but hopefully someone can help

I have never been a fan of pens on tablets. Partly because of the size of the tablet and I have a very poor eye for proportions when I start something, so by the time I sketch out 15 percent I realize I'm out of room :)

The Book is large enough in OneNote that it has really helped in quick diagraming. I do it a lot with customers and employee's, usually on paper to visually explain something.

I've been doing it on my Book and love it. For when I'm at my desk however I'd like to do the same thing on my large monitor.

Most drawing tablets are geared toward artists, so the price is geared toward that market too. I'm looking for a cheap, large, drawing tablet. I don't need the 2000+ levels of pressure or anything like that. Really most of what I do is a bunch of boxes with arrows.

I think these would be a great addition to conference rooms too.

Not at all familiar with the market. Anything nearing 8x10 size in the sub $300 price range? I've tried to search but as I mentioned, most are geared toward artists, not paper napkin sketching.

ScottyS

Why not use your Surface Book? Disconnect the screen ("clipboard" as MS calls it) and connect the new dock, which would connect to your big monitor. Then set the screen to mirror (Duplicate Display) what's on the SB screen on to the monitor.

ScottyS

The tablet portion has no connectivity itself at all.
I don't have the SB, so perhaps one of the others who do can answer, but I thought the new dock can plug into the tablet part as well as the keyboard part. The tablet is the full computer, sans GPU and extra batteries.

mcsenerd

I don't really know of a good monitor that is like what you're looking for, but why not just buy one of the regular capacitive monitors and just use a capacitive stylus? If all you're looking for is rough note taking while at your desk, I know several Acers have 10 point touch and also rotate down for a nice touch/drawing experience.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the SB, so perhaps one of the others who do can answer, but I thought the new dock can plug into the tablet part as well as the keyboard part. The tablet is the full computer, sans GPU and extra batteries.
Correct, the Clipboard connects to the base with the Surface Connector which is the same as the connector for the dock.

11 secrets you didn't know about your new Surface Book or Surface Pro 4
Microsoft’s nifty new Surface Dock works with the Surface Book’s Clipboard mode too. That means you can plug the 13.5-inch screen Clipboard into the dock and use the Dock’s gigabit ethernet, USB ports, and Displayports, too.​

OP
E

ericspt

I'm not looking for a monitor, a reasonably priced Wacom style tablet:

wacom_cth480_intuos_creative_pen_1002449.jpg

JBCF

I've used the Wacom Intuous line off and on in the past, good value for the money but if you're only beginning to get accustomed to using pen input you may find working with a drawing tablet to be quite a different experience from using a pen directly on a screen as you would with a Surface Book/Surface Pro. It's a little disorienting to be looking at the screen and seeing your lines appear while your hand is some distance away from the screen and out of your sightline. I'd suggest you try to borrow one and try it out first or at least make sure you have a return policy in place if you do purchase.