What's new

i7 SB2 13" can't hit above 3.7Ghz...

AJCroteau

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but I recently picked up a Service Book 2 and have been doing some benchmarks using Cinebench and watching cpu speeds using HwInfo and I've been unable to get the speed higher than 3.7Ghz even though it's specified to hit up to 4.2Ghz... I've got the power management set to Ultimate Performance...

Anyone else noticing they are unable to hit top speed?

Thanks
AJ

edix

Hi AJ

There is a possibility that it is being throttled for power or thermal reasons. A good place to start investigating this is the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, It can tell you if this is the case by looking in the bottom right of the application window. I would recommend looking up guides on undervolting using this app, it alleviated some of the heating on my problems on my laptop.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor - My SB2 hits 4.2GHz constantly (or whenever its needed). Is there a chance that HwInfo isn't set up to properly push the SB2 and its technologies to the 4.2 limit? Just spit-balling - Try downloading the Intel Turbo Boost Monitor and see if your machine peaks out at 4.2GHz - Here's a link...

Download Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0