What's new

iFixit Teardown

Pyro515

So, what does that mean? What sort of devices coudl you attach that are PCI-e? I know you get the slots in the computer for things like graphics cards etc, but I'm not sure what applications are available for a port like the power port?

In theory you could make an External GPU. This would allow you to utilize a more powerful desktop graphics card for powering external monitors. This personally, is what I would want to do with the power port. For my usage I utilize 3 external monitors. There are a number of solutions out there to do this, but they all have different drawbacks, (usb to dvi, is not a native solution, and taxes the host CPU, daisy-chaining DP monitors would be expensive because I would have to buy new monitors, MST Hubs are still questionable that they work).

Currently I have a desktop now with a killer graphics card, so for me it would be nice to use that graphics card in an E-GPU solution, and eliminate the desktop PC and I would be able to go down to just my Surface Pro 3 and still get about 80% usage out of the desktop graphics card.

Unfortunately there are a number of things that would have to happen for this solution to work. We would have to know the pin outs of the power port, then you would have to create a plug that would attach to the port. Then you would have to have that plug convert to a pci-e plug for the E-GPU and then have the pins for the power go to a power adapter, because without being able to power the Surface pro 3 it would be a very limited solution. I am still holding out hope that somehow we would someday be able to create a solution, but it will take someone a lot smarter than me to figure it out. LOL!

Mike

OP
RottenMutt

RottenMutt

how many displays can the Intel GT2 graphics controller output to? The display port on the SP3 is still suppose to work along with the display port on the dock, that would be 5 displays!
could there be a graphics chip in the dock?!?!? The dock does have a larger power supply!
Intel 5000 only supports 3 displays. i think there will be many new births 9 months after dock releases!!!!

Last edited: