What's new

Indexing file share in a nas

joga

Hi all,

I store all my media on a qnap nas located in my network. I want to add this qnap nas share to the index of my video section on the surface. That way my media should appear in the my media section on xbox video.

Whenever i try it i get an error message back.

Does anyone knows how do to it?

joga

OP
J

joga

Aw: Indexing file share in a nas

Unfortunately it doesnt work. It always asks for a local drive.

I have a large media collection and i would hate to copy selected files localy to the surface drive.

Any other ideas?

joga

ArnoldC

If you followed the instructions in that link, it makes use of /j option, try /d instead.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

R0bR

This is an issue that started with Windows 7 where Microsoft removed the ability to add and index network locations. There is a method that uses symbolic links that will allow you to add the location and the music WILL show up in your library, but it will not index making it a vet slow and poor experience. This is my main gripe with Xbox Music app that it does not support network locations, something that Zune did very well. Microsoft's solution is to sync an offline folder, which defeats the purpose of having a NAS to begin with, why would I want to sync TB's of music and video back to my pc? Crazy. Anyways, if you want to test the symbolic link method you can use this guide, its for W7 but the process should be the same. How to: Add network shares to a Windows 7 library « Pete's Tech Blog

elee532

I learned this same lesson the other day when trying to setup my new Win 8 desktop with a QNAP NAS. Frustrating!

OP
J

joga

@R0br: I could at now my NAS folder to the local music library. All my music appears when using the explorer.
Unfortunately the music does not appear in the xbox music section my music. Its empty.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

ArnoldC

The Music app is working on junctions and mounted volumes, even with subfolders. But the index service may not work with /d option. Is that what you used?

OP
J

joga

yes, i used the option /d.

mklink /j does not work because the destination is a NAS folder

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

ArnoldC

Did you add the destination to the Library Manager?