What's new

Intel slowdown

OP
G

gman713

I think I'll try that solution. I'm assuming it will tell me im patched or not. I think disabling it is a good idea for now. I was just working on doing employee reviews yesterday and noticed that things seemed slower than what I would expect from a $3K machine. For instance, opening and closing Word docs had slight delays. I got a blue spinning circle every time I closed a doc.

OP
G

gman713

Strangely this update is NOT automatically downloaded and run by Windows Update. Rather you have to manually download it from Microsoft Update Catalog
Then run it. However, it runs silently, providing no positive indication or indication of any kind that it ran or didn't run or that it succeeded or failed... Absolutely nothing.

I had seen comments to this effect so I originally opted to do the manual steps described is this article. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ive-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in

TL;DR
The simpler solution is to use the InSpectre utility from Gibson Research. Download and run that then click the button to disable spectre protection if necessary. This utility will indicate the status of protections for Meltdown and Spectre and it toggles the buttons to enable or disable the protection depending on the current state.

Which one should I disable for improved performance? Spectre or Meltdown? Also, will the tool allow you to easily enable it as well?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which one should I disable for improved performance? Spectre or Meltdown? Also, will the tool allow you to easily enable it as well?
Spectre is the one that kills performance. Yes you can enable or disable easily with the InSpectre tool.

OP
G

gman713

After disabling it, my performance went up a lot. With the patch enabled, Geekbench 4 had me at 4241 for Single and 11,398 for multi. After disabling the patch, single went up to 4618 and multi went to 13,106. Both tests were on "Better Performance." I would say that's fairly significant.