What's new

Is it safe to give Surface Pro 2 Serial Number to Ebayer?

Dapman02

Hey all,

I'm in the process of selling my Surface Pro 2 128GB (Great device, but I need a bigger screen) on ebay. I received a message from a random ebayer asking me for my serial number so he can check to make sure it wasn't stolen.

I was wondering if there is anything malicious a random person could do with the surface's serial number.

jimkraz

I would be wary, but then I'm maybe more cautious than you, I don't know what he/she could do with your serial number, how can he check if it's stolen ?.

oion

Did you previously properly register it? The only conceivable thing I can think of is if you didn't register it, someone could register it instead and then claim you stole it (no idea if that might be true, just an idea). Of course, if you did register it, you have to un-register once you do sell to let the new owner register. All warranty services are tied to the registration.

OP
D

Dapman02

Did you previously properly register it? The only conceivable thing I can think of is if you didn't register it, someone could register it instead and then claim you stole it (no idea if that might be true, just an idea). Of course, if you did register it, you have to un-register once you do sell to let the new owner register. All warranty services are tied to the registration.

Thanks for the reply
Yes, it is registered.