What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

ScottyS

is the improvement really that much to warrant $170 CDN?
Yeah, I would like to hear from those that have gotten one for their SP3.

Another factor, if the Type Cover for SP4 will fit on the SP5? That way I can buy it now for my SP3 and still use it next year when I upgrade to SP5 (and put the old SP3 Type Cover back on the old SP3 for whoever I sell it to or give it too).

compnovo

I've been debating the same thing, and I think if my SP3 was my primary machine I would make the purchase. However, it's used mostly for travel and couch surfing while my desktop is used for the heavy lifting, so I think I'll hold off until the SP5 arrives and I upgrade everything.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Im going to check it out this morning. m wondering if the keys feel more clicky. As I do hate how the keys on the SP3 keyboard can get mushy when you type on it for awhile.

I know i dont need it but I use my SP3 everyday at work, and its my main home PC and keyboard so i type on it A LOT! $170CDN though? YIKES. Its one to charge a premium but another to flat out commit fraud MS.

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the typecover on pre-order... butI haven't got it yet to tell you. I've also gone for the upgraded pen too.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Too bad theres no upgrade option for SP3 owners. We should be able to upgrade for free. Bring in the old SP3 keyboard give us the new one for free or maybe $10.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The keyboard is bigger too. The cover is the same size but the keyboard is wider with slimmer edge boarder. It's actually the same width as a full size keyboard.

OP
K

kiwigirl

The keyboard is bigger too. The cover is the same size but the keyboard is wider with slimmer edge boarder. It's actually the same width as a full size keyboard.

Thanks. Space between the keys isnt too much of an issue for me as I can type really fast on the SP3 keyboard but I wouldnt mind the keys having a more tactile feedback when pressed. If the new one has this, im sold.

I like the SP3 keyboard but it can be exshausting on the fingers to type on after awhile due to the keys feeling a bit mushy.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I decided to go for it as all the reviews say the feel is much more like laptop keyboard. I never had a problem with my SP3's keyboard but I concede it's not quite the same as a proper laptop keybaord. the improvement in trackpad is a big plus with most saying it's on a par with the surface book which has one of the best windows trackpads out there.

otherminds

I picked up the new type cover for my SP3 and absolutely love it. Overall it is just a better experience. If you are asking for specifics, the key spacing and firmness makes for a much improved typing experience. The new glass covered and larger track pad is a delight on the fingers.

I opted not to get the finger print sensor because I just felt that that was unnecessary.

zhenya

Huge, huge improvement IMO. From what I considered a pretty poor keyboard and pad to what would be considered pretty good on a high end laptop. The keys are way easier to feel and give much crisper feedback.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Picked it up. The keys will take some getting used tk wjth the spaces. But they feel better for feedback and not mushy like the old one.

Will give it a few days days and see how i like it.

Still have a really tough time swallowing the cost!!!!!!