What's new

SP4 Type Cover arrived - does not work with SP3 Docking Station

Sequel

My new SP4 keyboard was just arrived. It looks to be a fantastic improvement over the SP3 version. However, it will not stay magnetically attached to my SP3 in the docking station. The picture below shows the SP4 (teal) cover attached in my docking station. The SP3 (black) cover is on top, showing what appears to be the issue. The magnet is a little more toward the top edge and slightly wider in the SP4 version.

You can start docking the device with the keyboard properly snapped to the device. But once you finish closing the docking station sides, the keyboard will pop off. The second photo shows that magnet does not fit above the docking station lip, thus cannot stay attached.

I don't see how this can possibly be modified to work.

WP_20151026_09_54_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20151026_10_05_51_Pro.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OOPS ... we'll see what they do about this...
A nipping tool should solve this but the cover would need to be resealed after taking out the extra material. Id definitely wait for the official recall and not do anything to it.

And there goes the much vaunted 'everything will be forwards/backwards compatible' declaration accessory wise. Just picked up an SP3 dock for my SP3. Was wanting a SP4 keyboard as well (shame we're not getting the thumb print sensor version here in the UK) - will have to seriously consider now and much of the appeal of the SP3 dock is that I can just drop the closed SP3+cover into the dock and voila, instant desktop.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have a new SP4 type cover with fingerprint reader, for my SP3.

The good:
- Fingerprint reader is FAST and was very easy to set up using Settings, Account, ...
- Backlighting seems to be improved. More evenly lit.
- Key action feels wonderful.
- Volume buttons, finally.
- Fits screen of SP3 just fine

The bad but not very bad:
- The extra fold magnet does not work well with my SP3 in its Ultra Armor Gear case, because the keyboard is a bit too long (left to right, similar complaint to docking station post, above). Must use keyboard flat, unless I remove the case. The lip of the UAG case rises up above the glass just enough to keep the magnet from being able to touch flush with the glass.

cldittus

Received the SP4 type cover/fingerprint reader this morning, currently using it attached to my SP3. It feels amazing. The spacing between the keys allows for a better typing experience, the board itself seems a lot more sturdy. Fingerprint reader very responsive and easy to set up. fold magnet on mine is holding tight to the SP3. The track pad in my opinion feels great, larger, smoother and responsive.

All in all I would say that they made some very big improvements on this particular product.

PS. attached to the SP3 docking station, Keyboard fits and works, just unable to use the extra fold magnet. Sitting at my desk and plugged into the dock with the keyboard laying flat I am typing this edit.....no different from a laptop with a level keyboard really.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Christi

Last edited:

Wiidesire

So what is it? You guys are making me worried. Do the magnets work properly on SP3 or not? Already have it preordered, thought this was a non-issue.

@why does your teal cover look like dark blue?

OP
S

Sequel

So what is it? You guys are making me worried. Do the magnets work properly on SP3 or not? Already have it preordered, thought this was a non-issue.

@why does your teal cover look like dark blue?

The magnets work properly on the SP3. They do not work properly on the Docking Station.

I have been using the keyboard flat on my desk while docked since 10:00 this morning. The SP4 keyboard is still a better experience this way compared to the SP3 keyboard properly attached in the docking station. So, if I had to live with it this way, I probably could.

I also have a Surface 3 with the blue type cover. When you look at them next to each other, the Surface 3 one is definitely blue and the teal isn't quite as blue-ish.

Wiidesire

Thanks for the answer. A flat keyboard is better for your wrists by the way. I always use the SP3 keyboard flat, if I have a table under it. So that would be a non issue for me, but I don't use the Dock anyway (and I'd maybe buy the new dock, if I'd want one).

I am so excited. Got the SP4 Cover for 105€ (Microsoft Store 149€) + SP4 Pen for 45€ (Microsoft Store 65€), so got a very good deal.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The magnets work properly on the SP3. They do not work properly on the Docking Station. ...

Correct.
The magnets must touch the SP3 glass to work.
If you use a case with your SP3, and the lip of the case is any bit higher than flush with the screen glass, they will keep the keyboard magnet from touching the glass.