What's new

Is the LTE upgrade worth the performance drop?

WAR

I've been waiting for the NEW Surface Pro with LTE. I've currently got an I-7, 16 GB Ram, Surface Pro 4. I really can't get excited about the LTE version.

I also use 2 iPad Pros, primarily for fun stuff, using LTE.

Anyone else not excited about upgrading to the new LTE Surface model?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't quite understand the question. If I wasn't excited about an upgrade then I wouldn't upgrade.

At the same time, I'm not a businessman, so anything LTE equiped other than my phone is an utter waste of money :)

OP
WAR

WAR

I love the performance of my SP4. I assume it won't perform as "snappy" with the downgraded processor and 8 GB less RAM. Just wishing I could of had the same performance with LTE.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the performance of my SP4. I assume it won't perform as "snappy" with the downgraded processor and 8 GB less RAM. Just wishing I could of had the same performance with LTE.

I guess it depends entirely on what you're doing with your machine. My desktop has 16gb of ram and a far more powerful cpu and it is no more responsive than my 4gb sp4 for daily usage. I've yet to look at any charts comparing cpu performance between the i7 in the SP4 and the newer i5 in the sp 2017. Would be interesting to see.

Given they're restricting users to i5 for the LTE, it would be nice if they offered additional options not found with the regular i5 versions, such as 512gb or 16gb etc. Would be interesting to learn why they have opted to bypass the i7 on this, such as a technical limitation, or whether they just do not forcast business users buying i7 and LTE, which in my mind would not be the case.

OP
WAR

WAR

I read that the i7 still retains the fan. The i5, which runs cooler, uses the space for the LTE modem.

DavidZ

When good WiFi isn't available, I use my phone as a hotspot for my SP4. I don't have a need for LTE.

Wouldn't LTE require another subscription with monthly or usage charges?

Exhile

I'd like to know if the Surface Pro 2017 LTE uses an eSIM or does a nano-SIM have to be inserted somehow.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to know if the Surface Pro 2017 LTE uses an eSIM or does a nano-SIM have to be inserted somehow.
I believe the answer to that is yes.

Both, either or.

Esim may not be universally accepted yet by all carriers, apparently there are some implementation differences carriers have to accommodate for esim to work.

Exhile

I believe the answer to that is yes.

Both, either or.

Esim may not be universally accepted yet by all carriers, apparently there are some implementation differences carriers have to accommodate for esim to work.

I just realized the Surface Pro 2017 LTE can't have an eSIM since the Apple Watch Series 3 is the only device that is carrier enabled. This leaves the nano-SIM as the only possible option.

Last edited:

Hard.Wired

I read that the i7 still retains the fan. The i5, which runs cooler, uses the space for the LTE modem.

I just can't see the trade off if you NEED i7 performance. I use my phone with LTE as a hot-spot, so I really don't see the need for it on the computer other than another bill and a little less hassle. Maybe if you needed more data per month (phone hot-spot data + embedded LTE data) or having them on different cell networks for better coverage?

OP
WAR

WAR

I do have a wifi hotspot from my phone, and getting the new Surface would require an additional $10 / month fee to Verizon. Think I'll stay with what I know / have! Thanks for the input.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do have a wifi hotspot from my phone, and getting the new Surface would require an additional $10 / month fee to Verizon. Think I'll stay with what I know / have! Thanks for the input.

Exactly, this is why LTE tablets have never taken off. There is simply no valid case to the every day consumer. Buy an additional contract, or just use what you're already paying for. I even managed to go 2 years without having to pay for broadband by simply using my phone as a hotspot.