What's new

Issues (auto-hibernate is one of them)

KevinMulder

Dear all,

I have the brand new Surface Pro 2017 (i7, 512 GB and 16 GB RAM).
I had the SP4 (i5, 256 gb and 8 GB RAM) and was so enormously pleased with it. Perfect machine. I had no problems whatsoever; never ever ever ever.

Now I have the brand new Surface Pro and I have encountered several problems:
- multiple times already did I get the blue screen of death; HOW ??
- Auto hibernate while I am playing games, working, streaming videos; both plugged in and on battery. Doesn't matter what settings I am using; it goes off. Is there a fix already for this? I mean, it is easily turned back on but it really affects my pleasure in using the device.
- Honestly, the battery life seems to be worse than the SP4 i5 I had. Now I understand the i5 uses less, but the new Surface Pro was Sugar coated with having better battery (far more better than SP4). Although I will need to play more with the battery settings to really get a good feeling; it feels like I am having less unplugged time than before. But, in all fairness, it might be that I am doing/using more.
- Does anyone else feel as if the windows hello camera on the new SP is worse than the SP4's, or is it just me?
I just can't seem to get it set-up as good as I had it on the SP4.

All in all, the machine remains my primary device (only device for that matter) and I am happy to use it: but the problems are starting to be annoying; especially the blue screen of death and the auto hibernate issue. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!

Best regards
Kevin

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to our community. Have you done all of the Firmware Updates and Hot Fixes? Are you running on the Production Ring or any of the Insider Rings?

Auto-hibernation typically only happens when the battery gets down to 6%. The Windows Hello was wonky for me prior to the updates. But it does appear that some are seeing an hibernation bug as discussed in the Official MS Forms - Surface Pro 2017 turning off or hibernating randomly!!!

MS is aware and is investigating, or you could ask for an exchange.

I have the SP 2017 (i5/8/256) and I'm getting 7.5 Hours of battery on average. I'm also running Insider Fast so that impacts my battery life significantly. With just browsing and letting it go into S0iX I can usually go the whole weekend on battery.