What's new

Issues with hibernating and battery report

abcefg

Hi everyone,

Not sure this is the right place to post given the existing battery issue thread, but I think the issue might span across this.

I am using the i5 128GB model with the docking station and Type Cover.

I am having some issues recently with hibernate. I gather that when InstantGo/Connected Standby (let's just call this CS) comes on, there will be a ~4 hour interval before it goes into hibernate, then a deeper hibernate sometime thereafter.

This seemed to work until a few weeks ago. I have noticed that it is always on CS. Now, I don't mind too much as this makes it quite handy as an always on tablet like the RT, but it would be nice turn it back into the original function.

I have noticed that when doing a battery report the cycle number has not moved at all since last week (24 cycles, even though I charge it every night and have purchased the unit more than a month ago). Also, the full charge capacity exceeds the design capacity.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I think there might be some sort of program that is preventing hibernate, but I can't seem to find what it might be. I have contacted MS Support, who were not able to understand my problem. They eventually suggested that I used Group Policy to add the hibernate function back to shut down settings, but this is not what I want to use.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Run powercfg /sleepstudy that will give you a report, color coded, with what's keeping your SP up at night. red = bad, green = good. After the doctors see this they can prescribe the corrective sleeping aids. :)

OP
A

abcefg

The thing is that there doesn't appear to be any reds...

I have attached the sleep study report for last night.
1.png
2.png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is this unit docked? or do you just have a USB drive attached?

If you look at the properties of USB drive or host controller in Device Manager does it have the Power Management tab?

OP
A

abcefg

This was undocked and in my bag. Not charging or with any USB devices attached. Will check the power management tab when I get back to my device.

thanks for replying

ctitanic

For what I can see it drained 9% in 8 hours. That's normal. So my question is, what makes you believe that something is wrong other than the battery report which sometimes is wrong?

If the answer is "Nothing", then stop digging in to that report, your device does not have anything wrong.

Liam2349

For what I can see it drained 9% in 8 hours. That's normal. So my question is, what makes you believe that something is wrong other than the battery report which sometimes is wrong?

If the answer is "Nothing", then stop digging in to that report, your device does not have anything wrong.

ctitanic, SP3 isn't supposed to be in Connected Standby for more than 4 hours at a time - In my experience, 9% drain in 8 hours is higher than it should be.

When I first got my SP3, it only stayed in CS for 4 hours at a time, and I lost 1-2% battery in a 4 hour CS session. Now, I have a recurring pattern where one day, the device uses very little power in sleep, and sleeps only for 4 hours, and the next day it uses a lot of power in sleep and sleeps for as long as it can before running out of charge.

This issue eats up about 10% more battery than it should in my days at uni, which is a big deal. I've been in contact with Surface Support and they actually couldn't resolve my issue and thought it was normal for the Marvell Avastar chip to be active 100% of the time in CS and annihilate your battery, when it's only supposed to activate every now and then.

I currently haven't managed to resolve the issue, even after reinstalling Windows.

I have a new theory to test out based on the pattern I've observed. I wasn't kidding when I said that day 1 it's fine and day 2 it isn't. It ALWAYS follows that pattern. So I'm going to try shutting it down every night and see if that resets this counter, and perhaps then it will work properly.

OP
A

abcefg

Is this unit docked? or do you just have a USB drive attached?

If you look at the properties of USB drive or host controller in Device Manager does it have the Power Management tab?

I have looked into Device Management and am not sure about which USB controller to look at. It seems that most of them have the power management tab.

The issue that concerns me is that it probably shouldn't be in connected standby for 8 hours. From what I have read, and from previous usage, is that after 4 hours on connected standby it should go into hibernate. This is what it did before, but now it does not. For the last week or so, it has never been able to hibernate. This change in behaviour makes me believe that there is something going on.

I mention the other report because there might be a connection between the strange batteryreport output and the hibernate issue. I thought that this might be useful data for troubleshooting purposes, that this might be a reason for the system not going into hibernate.

I have posted the output from the sleepstudy report (which is the most recent) and those were the outputs. Usually the sleepstudy would give me a red indicator for some of the categories.

ctitanic

ctitanic, SP3 isn't supposed to be in Connected Standby for more than 4 hours at a time - In my experience, 9% drain in 8 hours is higher than it should be.

When I first got my SP3, it only stayed in CS for 4 hours at a time, and I lost 1-2% battery in a 4 hour CS session. Now, I have a recurring pattern where one day, the device uses very little power in sleep, and sleeps only for 4 hours, and the next day it uses a lot of power in sleep and sleeps for as long as it can before running out of charge.

This issue eats up about 10% more battery than it should in my days at uni, which is a big deal. I've been in contact with Surface Support and they actually couldn't resolve my issue and thought it was normal for the Marvell Avastar chip to be active 100% of the time in CS and annihilate your battery, when it's only supposed to activate every now and then.

I currently haven't managed to resolve the issue, even after reinstalling Windows.

I have a new theory to test out based on the pattern I've observed. I wasn't kidding when I said that day 1 it's fine and day 2 it isn't. It ALWAYS follows that pattern. So I'm going to try shutting it down every night and see if that resets this counter, and perhaps then it will work properly.
In the case of the OP is not dear to me if it does not go to CS or no. I remembered your case and the fact that no solution was found. At least in this forum. My advice. Add Hibernation and go to Hibernation each night. That's what I do.

Financials

I have an issue related to connected standby.. I got this device about 5 days ago and usually am plugged in while working (reading week so no classes). Last night I was using it on battery for a bit then decided to throw it into sleep. I picked it up 2 hours later, and it had lost 15% battery. The sleepstudy just shows CPU c0 time as 100% and nothing else as active. I am currently just working on battery power to drain the device to 5%< and than will charge to 100% and test sleep out a bit again.

Is there a way to figure what made the cpu run?

Liam2349

In the case of the OP is not dear to me if it does not go to CS or no. I remembered your case and the fact that no solution was found. At least in this forum. My advice. Add Hibernation and go to Hibernation each night. That's what I do.

That solves the problem for night, but during the day when I am putting the device to sleep between lectures, I still lose masses of battery in CS.

Liam2349

I have an issue related to connected standby.. I got this device about 5 days ago and usually am plugged in while working (reading week so no classes). Last night I was using it on battery for a bit then decided to throw it into sleep. I picked it up 2 hours later, and it had lost 15% battery. The sleepstudy just shows CPU c0 time as 100% and nothing else as active. I am currently just working on battery power to drain the device to 5%< and than will charge to 100% and test sleep out a bit again.

Is there a way to figure what made the cpu run?

The sleepstudy should show the activators, but it's still not amazingly helpful.