What's new

Just Curious: What are the users of the forum like in terms of technical know-how?

goodintentions

I'm a structural engineer specializing in construction management. For those who's been in construction, the term for what I am is an RE.

I hold no degree that's related to computers. My bachelors was for physics and my masters was in engineering. I did work for a short time as a programmer for a research institute. They needed someone who could write software and also understand the science and math behind what they needed.

Even though I did publish a couple apps in the android store, I'm now fully committed to the windows metro platform. If you want to know my qualifications when it comes to technical knowledge, just look at my current big software project for windows store.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/word-touch/4ae5b098-96f6-41ac-add8-2e98dd20f538

My other big software project is an engineering app. For now, I'm keeping it out of view. It's not ready for prime time yet. When it is, I'll be presenting it to the department of transportation.

scottysize

I've been in the IT industry since 1999. I've owned my own small repair business back in the early 2000's. I was a field engineer for a wireless internet company and I currently am a Business IT analyst.

I've owned just about every version of Windows to include now 8.1. I'm not keen on it. Just my opinion. I have a hard time locating things in it and staying on task with 8.1.

The iPad is a consumer tool, and great for those who like to play. It's simple and easy and I wouldn't give my iPad up. However, I wouldn't give up my Windows computer either.

I'm running:
Apple Mac Mini - In-Home File Server
Windows 7 - Gaming/Everything Computer
Surface Pro 3 - Couch sitting computer
iPad 3 and Air - 3's for work use and the Air is for playing
Nexus 7 - Car navigation device. (Of course I have to have my hotspot turned on my phone.)

CrippsCorner

I used to be a computer engineer, now I work with much bigger machines! I like to think I know a reasonable amount, but I often see people (some on here) that put me to shame lol...

Computers in general were a real hobby of mine throughout my teenage years but I'm 30 next week and tbh they've taken a massive backwards step, but I still love all technology and read multiple websites every day regarding the latest stuff :) this forum was a much more regular thing for me too until the 'updated' look unfortunately stopped me from using it at work.

eltos_lightfoot

I have an MBA, and have worked with computers since I was a kid with the Apple II and Commodore days. I have done everything from low-level IT to Solaris UNIX admin and Oracle work. Currently I have a hackintosh/windows 8 computer I built, my SP3, and an iPhone 5.

strollin

I've worked in the Tech Industry since 1972. I started out as a technician, worked my way up to management (I have a BS in Management) then switched gears and went into programming/software engineering which I have been doing for the past 28 years. I started out with an IBM PC in 1984, built my first home-built in 1985. I used every version of DOS since 2.1 and have used every version of Windows as well as every version of OS/2. I've owned 3 Android based phones and 4 Android based tablets. Before my SP3, I had a Dell Venue Pro 8. I also had an Amiga along the way and also a Mac with OS X Snow Leopard. I think I'm pretty computer savvy but still seem to learn something new everyday.

strollin

... Nexus 7 - Car navigation device. (Of course I have to have my hotspot turned on my phone.)
Why? You shouldn't need the hotspot on your phone for GPS navigation if you use an app that stores it's map data locally such as CoPilot. Apps like Google Maps don't store the map data locally so need a data connection to constantly retrieve map data as you drive but the GPS itself does not rely on the data connection.

goodintentions

Why? You shouldn't need the hotspot on your phone for GPS navigation if you use an app that stores it's map data locally such as CoPilot. Apps like Google Maps don't store the map data locally so need a data connection to constantly retrieve map data as you drive but the GPS itself does not rely on the data connection.
I don't know about you, but I can't survive without my instant traffic report on my phone gps.