What's new

March Firmware Update is......back!

clemgrad85

Well, I started the thread yesterday about the 3/11/14 Firmware Update being gone on my available updates page....well....this afternoon it suddenly reappeared! Anyone else, who hadn't done the update, now notice that it is back? I wonder if they fixed anything? I will be holding off loading the update until I hear about any other issues. What next?.....a large plane suddenly vanishing?

jrapdx

Well, I started the thread yesterday about the 3/11/14 Firmware Update being gone on my available updates page....well....this afternoon it suddenly reappeared! Anyone else, who hadn't done the update, now notice that it is back? I wonder if they fixed anything? I will be holding off loading the update until I hear about any other issues. What next?.....a large plane suddenly vanishing?

Now if MS actually fixes something, I'll be very happy about it. I don't know if what you are reporting will help me at all, since I'd already been stung by the original March update, but I'll see how it works out.

But please, the lost plane is a tragedy in the making, not something to joke about at this moment...

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

New update have Intel graphic panel? I sorry I'm scared of updating always hearing bad things

I'm with you. I haven't done any firmware updates yet! Until I start to hear there are no issues, I'm not installing them. As far as I can tell, my SP2 is working just fine....why risk it?

LuckyL

New update have Intel graphic panel? I sorry I'm scared of updating always hearing bad things

Yes it does (at long last). I installed it before it was pulled and have not had any Problems. I also installed Windows 8.1 Update 1 (the leaked version) without issues. I now have the double-tap-drag gesture on the cover and can evnetually adjust the display graphics without an Intel driver that is constantly being overwritten.

So I'm a happy bunny right now :)

hksrb25s14

Yes it does (at long last). I installed it before it was pulled and have not had any Problems. I also installed Windows 8.1 Update 1 (the leaked version) without issues. I now have the double-tap-drag gesture on the cover and can evnetually adjust the display graphics without an Intel driver that is constantly being overwritten.

So I'm a happy bunny right now :)

Does it have fullscreen on low resolution support like gaming with black boarders? Cuz I always get black boarders when I play games on low resolution.

GoodBytes

Well if it's back, it didn't got changed, because it doesn't show up on my side.
I already have the March firmware update.
If any one wonders: never had any issues. It must be noted that I don't have any bluetooth devices, or microSD card to test these features.

hksrb25s14

I still have feb firmware in the windows update that I didn't install yet do I need to install that 1st before I can update march fw update?

OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

I still have feb firmware in the windows update that I didn't install yet do I need to install that 1st before I can update march fw update?

According to something I read on the MS website, it said that if you install a later firmware update it will install any prior firmware updates that had not been installed. So, whether you install the Feb one separately or not, it will apparently get installed before the computer installs the March update. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I never did the Feb firmware update and it no longer shows up, which does make me wonder if it somehow was installed. I checked the download/install history report and isn't listed, but why wouldn't it still be showing as needing to be loaded? hksrb25s14, does your download list show both Feb and March firmware updates as needing to be installed?

jrapdx

According to something I read on the MS website, it said that if you install a later firmware update it will install any prior firmware updates that had not been installed. So, whether you install the Feb one separately or not, it will apparently get installed before the computer installs the March update. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. I never did the Feb firmware update and it no longer shows up, which does make me wonder if it somehow was installed. I checked the download/install history report and isn't listed, but why wouldn't it still be showing as needing to be loaded? hksrb25s14, does your download list show both Feb and March firmware updates as needing to be installed?

That's what I've understood as well, updates are cumulative, the latest encompasses the prior ones. However, there have been quite a few reports of "late-arriving" or repeated FW updates--it's happened to me too. For example, I received the Feb 11 update twice, perhaps an error, or maybe not.

FW updates come with little information about what's updated, and after installation, I can't even find out how many bytes a particular update contained. In a sense it makes little difference--can't be undone anyway.

So I guess you shouldn't worry about what's in the FW updates at this point. If your SP2 works as you expect, all is good.

hksrb25s14

Aww I only see feb firmware available, so there no way to upgrade them separately right? Thanks