What's new

Micro SD card in SP4

gman713

Just a quick question which I think was answered before; however is it safe to keep the Micro SD card in the SP4 when shutting down and booting up? I remember a post when I had my SP2 that leaving the SD card in the system could cause performance issues.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In theory it doesn't cause any problems. In practice it varies and has from time to time caused problems. it's something to be aware of and if you experience a problem given it's due consideration as a possible cause or should I say removing the card may be a workaround for a problem of another cause.

leeshor

The most frequent issue seems to be with hangups when doing major updates. (doesn't happen with everyone, all the time). However, if the card becomes corrupted it can cause serious performance problems (and more).

bradl79

i just got a 128GB Samsung Pro+ and use it as my external storage and i keep it in at all times and no issues, the micro sd card is the fastest out there so it works great, i was getting 84 read/75 write, best write speeds of any micro sd card, best buy has them on sale for 99.99 right now

OP
G

gman713

Thanks, I'll keep it in for now but will keep it out if I start noticing more than the usual funky things going on.

Ravi1969

Got a 128 Gb Sandisk Ultra 80 read for 39,- Euro from Amazon Germany.
Will us it as a default drive for a SP4 i5, scheduled to buy in a 17.36% off price sale in 2 weeks. If anything, I will report about it.

bradl79

Its likely not going to have good write speeds, so if u r downloading files to the drive and doing multiple things, u may come across some issues, I use mine as an external drive, so if I am downloading stuff to it and running other things off of that SD card u need better write speeds, the only micro SD card that can do that right now is the Samsung pro+

I have the Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s read 90MB/s write SDXC. When I had it in my SP2, it would always drop from being properly detected. So far in the SP4, it only dropped once. That was when I first got the SP4 before all the updates.
I'm kinda scared to remove it. since I have my SP4 set to transfer anything new to the SD card (downloads/music/pictures/etc).

btw, everyday use speeds= 50-80MB/s read, 40-60MB/s write. So nowhere close to the chip rated speed. But I think it's the chip. Many people say that, THAT particular SD chip is rated wrong.

Last edited: