What's new

Microsoft Complete only 2 years

convergent

Former Apple buyer looking to buy a Surface Pro. I've always bought AppleCare for my laptops there, as its 3 years coverage for one accident. (I've not ever had an accident, but have had failures out of warranty so come out OK) Looking at Microsoft Complete for $119, but it only covers for 2 years. Any other affordable alternative plans, or is this the best way to go. I'd prefer a plan that was more like $200-$250 that covered 3 years.

MickeyLittle

You might want to look at Square Trade. They seem to be very reputable and I know they have 2 year plans but not sure about 3?

OP
convergent

convergent

You might want to look at Square Trade. They seem to be very reputable and I know they have 2 year plans but not sure about 3?

I've used SquareTrade in the past and they are very good. Unfortunately, looks like they are about $400 for a 3 year plan which isn's a good value to me. You can get that for a reduced price through Amazon, but it can only then be used on Amazon purchased products. I am going to buy directly from Microsoft.

MickeyLittle

And its $119 if bought with the Surface.

That's really hard to beat for 2 years. I know you want 3 but there's an advantage you have in that most hardware that fails nowadays fails in the 13th month because most people don't buy any extended warranty. So if your SP makes it fine for 24 months then it'll probably have no issue making it for 36 months.

Just a thought!

OP
convergent

convergent

That's really hard to beat for 2 years. I know you want 3 but there's an advantage you have in that most hardware that fails nowadays fails in the 13th month because most people don't buy any extended warranty. So if your SP makes it fine for 24 months then it'll probably have no issue making it for 36 months.

Just a thought!

That is true... the down side of the Surface is that if something does die on it later, its nearly unserviceable since its glued together. Hopefully I get a good one!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many shops will offer their own variant of additional warranty. I like John Lewis, 3 year guarantee as standard, no cost involved :) living in the UK is generally miserable and rubbish, but at least we have John Lewis :) my mum spilt coffee on her out of warranty Samsung ultrabook, not a problem, have a new one :)

Orlbuckeye

Former Apple buyer looking to buy a Surface Pro. I've always bought AppleCare for my laptops there, as its 3 years coverage for one accident. (I've not ever had an accident, but have had failures out of warranty so come out OK) Looking at Microsoft Complete for $119, but it only covers for 2 years. Any other affordable alternative plans, or is this the best way to go. I'd prefer a plan that was more like $200-$250 that covered 3 years.

Well not how it works but any electronics purchased from Costco comes with 2 year factory. I'm sure you could get a 1 year after that.

Costco Concierge Services | Costco

OP
convergent

convergent

Thanks... unfortunately I don't have a Costco membership but they seem to have some great deals and benefits.