What's new

Microsoft Complete or i7 Processor?

i3po

I'm planning on buying a Surface pro 3 either i5 or i7 with 8gb of ram. I'm strongly considering getting the extended service plan. Is this a smart use of 150 dollars or should I get the i7 instead and just skip the service plan? I'm a sophomore civil (or mechanical I haven't decided yet lol) engineering major so I still have a semester worth of pre reqs to take before I'm in my major classes.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

malberttoo

Get Complete. Once you are protected, just about anything can happen to it, and $50 later (deductible) you're getting a new SP3. Without it... you just spent $1200+ on something that's likely not going to be repairable.

ctitanic

Well, I always end replacing the Tablet before I can use the Service Plan so I'm not buying those anymore.

dstrauss

Get Complete. Once you are protected, just about anything can happen to it, and $50 later (deductible) you're getting a new SP3. Without it... you just spent $1200+ on something that's likely not going to be repairable.

Well, I always end replacing the Tablet before I can use the Service Plan so I'm not buying those anymore.

Anyone who knows my history would think I am definitely in Frank's camp, given I rarely keep devices, but despite Panos' reassuring drop on the demo (carpeted) floor, I still forked over the money for complete. A couple of reasons - first, the obvious, that screen is going to be one expensive replacement; second, I find that having an extended warranty make the trip to eBay heaven much better - raises bids significantly knowing they are covered for my abuse...

Food for thought...

Liam2349

Personally I wouldn't bother, but it depends how well you look after your devices. I've seen some scratched up devices on eBay, but mine are in good condition.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
i3po:

Petroleum Engineer here. Work hard in school. Good jobs out there.

Get Complete. Really.

dleuen

I've never purchased an extended warranty for anything until I got my SP3. I found myself taking this thing everywhere. While sitting on a lanai in Hawaii in the hot sun during my vacation I decided I should probably get this thing some protection. If you just use it at home and are careful with it you probably don't need the Complete coverage. If you travel with it or are constantly cramming it in your back pack then you might want to think about it.

Kif

complete = piece of mind :)

I don't usually buy extended warranties but it's totally worth it for complete. It allows me to use my Surface to it's fullest potential because I'm not worried about something happening to it.

malberttoo

I've never purchased an extended warranty for anything until I got my SP3. I found myself taking this thing everywhere. While sitting on a lanai in Hawaii in the hot sun during my vacation I decided I should probably get this thing some protection. If you just use it at home and are careful with it you probably don't need the Complete coverage. If you travel with it or are constantly cramming it in your back pack then you might want to think about it.

Don't forget to mention though that you only have a certain number of days from the time of purchase (30 or 45, I can't remember...) to buy Complete.

FlySwatter

You have 45 days to decide; however, if you're deciding between I5+Complete or I7 without for budgetary reasons, I say get the I5 and Complete. The 2 year protection trumps the "performance gain" IMO. I had my I7 for a whole half hour before the screen died during normal set up. It doesn't take a drop to break one. I never buy an extended warranty I will this time assuming I don't return it to Best Buy within the 30 day window.