Editor in Chief
Microsoft is revealing the new Surface Pro 2 and the revamped Surface RT as of the time of this post. We will update this story in real-time as the event unfolds. Here is a breakdown of specs and features for the Surface Pro 2:
- HD display just like the original model, But with "huge improvements to really improve color reproduction."
- Dolby sound
- 20% faster than the OG Surface Pro - described as “Lightning fast.” - Core i5 processor - faster than more than 94% of laptops on the market
- 8GB RAM
- New kickstand design that supports multiple viewing angles
- Haswell processor - operates cooler and quieter
- 75% improvement in battery life
- Optional new “Power Cover” keyboard accessory that more than doubles the battery life of the Pro 2 for 2.5 times more battery life
- New docking station accessory for the Pro 2 - can be docked without even having to remove any attached keyboard covers - "Docking Station features 4 USB ports, Mini DisplayPort, Ethernet port, audio in and audio out. It can also support up to 3840 x 2160 resolution external displays."
- Now supports better-than-HD video out for external monitors
- Can process raw 6k resolution video footage "without even breaking a sweat"
- New colors for the Type Cover 2 - 1mm thinner than the original covers - features back-lit keys (will be released next year)
- More than 100,000 apps in the Windows Store no available
- Free international calling with Skype along with each Surface 2 purchase
- "New cover now features 1,092 integrated sensors compared to 80 sensors in the first-generation cover. The result is a much more accurate typing experience" - new predictive typing feature that corrects words even when you miss keys or hit the wrong keys
September 23rd at 8AM EDT preorders become available for all of the new Surface products.