What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro3 12in Win8.1 Touch Screen Lcd Display Assembly V ???

nikolay1966

I accidentally broke the screen and want to buy a new one ... who knows how to find information on my screen without disassembling SF3 ?

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I haven't seen any replacement parts from third parties so your only option would be to send it to Microsoft for repair. If you had purchased a Microsoft Complete warranty it may have been covered but otherwise you will likely need to pay for repair.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above, i've not seen any third party vendors. How long ago did you buy the surface?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be very careful... I seem to recall someone attempting this... but later discovered the screen lacked the digitizer. I don't know if they ever found what they needed or were successful in replacing it which is no small feat itself. Repair centers have equipment for this, they don't use the Rube Goldberg methods of iFixit.

OP
N

nikolay1966

new SF3 costs $1000 and $320 as suggested by Microsoft for a replacement, I think is very expensive and therefore ebay have offers cheaper but offers a choice of monitors .... and about the replacement I could do it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let is know how you make out. what screens you consider... and the end result. I hope I or anyone else doesn't have to do this but... everyone benefits from shared experiences. Best of luck on your endeavor.

AllTaken

I accidentally broke the screen and want to buy a new one ... who knows how to find information on my screen without disassembling SF3 ?

LTL120QL01-001 The parts are leaking out slowly. This is the right part but when you consider that the screen adhesive (most likely 3M vhb strips) is unknown it's an expensive fix.

How much is the Microsoft repair option vs LTL120QL01-001 and required adhesive? A few months and a sp4 release will see this part cost fall but right now it makes more fiscal sense to go with Microsoft repair, Warranty and all that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ebay lists a screen *without* touch (ha that wont work very well) for $99 or full replacement for $329-380
Alibaba lists SP3 replacement screen touch+digitizer for 200-245 from China, you pay shipping.

Nitric

Save the trouble and your time and just send it to microsoft. The sp3 is a piece of sophisticated hardware and not something that you can easily dismantle. You might end up messing it up even more and at the end of the day, you have to send it to microsoft and probably paying more in the process.

AllTaken

The screen is broken right? He'll make no more mess taking the old screen assembly out and trying to put in a new assembly, than he would have with a broken screen :rolleyes:

The only issue is the adhesive, but as long as he uses VHB strips of suitable thinness he'll be fine! Too many timid people in this thread - the screen is bust - plugging in 2 connections and using suitable adhesive is not the same as soldering a new chip.

The chap didn't ask if it would be tricky, or beyond his abilities. Removing the screen intact would be a *****, if it's broken, easy. His is broken!!! Placing a new one in is simple.

When Microsoft warranty expires and people are repairing these machines more often, then screen replacements on already broken screen surfaces becomes simple adhesive and connection job. Let's face it - he's not attaching a new touch layer to his LCD.

I recommended going with Microsoft because the cost doesn't make sense at current prices for the part.