What's new

Microsoft's Kenote Debuts 'Project Spartan' with its New Name: Microsoft Edge

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
windows-10-microsoft-edge.jpg

As cool as the name was, Microsoft didn't want to use the "Project Spartan" internal codename for their new web browser. Perhaps it was due to licensing issues, or perhaps it doesn't track as well with marketing focus groups, but whatever the reason, the new name for their browser will be Microsoft Edge.

Just as detailed previously, Microsoft Edge will include some handy new features that have never been seen before in a web browser. These include:
  • The ability to let you mark up web pages with a virtual pen/marker just as you might on a piece of paper or text book
  • The ability to share marked-up pages with other people - this will work with touch-based and non-touch devices
  • Edge will allow you to save content offline through a reading list - this will basically freeze bookmarks in place and let you read them later even without a web connection
  • The new browser will also sync your reading list across multiple devices so you can read them on your phone or tablet even if you saved them on your PC or console
On top of these extras, the Microsoft Edge browsing platform will be designed from the ground up with speed and security in mind. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), the logo for Microsoft's new browser will still use the "e" as it did in Internet Explorer. Of course, they will probably change up the overall graphic so as not to confuse users too much, yet make it seem fresh and new. Sound off with your perspective on Microsoft Edge.

leeshor

The word Edge in this case would be difficult to reserve as it is preceded by something else but you are correct.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edge leaves me flat, I'd love to know how they arrived at this name... I'm guessing it came in last in the popularity contest therefore it's safe. maybe they should go to made up names like Foobish or Spockit :)

Last edited:

leeshor

If it had been known as Microsoft Edge and they decided to change it to Internet Explorer you would have said THAT was dumb. ;)

Tsurugaya

Edge? Isn't that the same name as the Samsung Galaxy phones? Galaxy note edge & S6 edge.
Yeah, it also made me associate to Samsung phones rather than a browser. "You can write directly on Edge", wait what is she talking about, a browser or a phone.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Edge is the name of the new rendering engine... that Project Spartan uses and some developer created a Spartan Browser on Android and copyrighted it right after the speculation started last Summer.

TunaSurface

Edge is a good name, when naming things you should take notice of other languages and how they would pronounce your products. Edge is fine, but I'd still maybe like Spartan more.

Tsurugaya

Edge is the name of the new rendering engine... that Project Spartan uses and some developer created a Spartan Browser on Android and copyrighted it right after the speculation started last Summer.

Ahhh, the greed and depravity of the human race, I guess I should've grown accustomed by now...

goodintentions

From this point of view, "edge" is a terrible name. People from many different Asian languages would have a hard time pronouncing it, especially the monosyllabic and multitonal languages.