What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

Morgan

I like the settings button. The way I see it the settings button could be optionally removed by those users who don't like it. Plus I see no reason why there can't be a settings button where it is now, as well as another one in the Charms Bar.

OP
G

goodintentions

Nice job on the app! Looks good.
If you need any help with graphics or logo type stuff, let me know. As far as UI design, love the clean look. Would recommend removing the settings button and moving it to the Charms Menu.

Is there a way to insert images? I see, drawing images but insert from web or library etch.
Yes, inserting images will be in the next update.

Regarding the settings, the only reason I didn't put it in the charms because I was afraid some people might not know where to find it. What do you think? From my experience, to some people if they can't see it then it doesn't exist. What do you think?

dniezby

I like the settings button. The way I see it the settings button could be optionally removed by those users who don't like it. Plus I see no reason why there can't be a settings button where it is now, as well as another one in the Charms Bar.

The reason I say to remove it and put it in the Charms is because it's a matter of keeping the UI Clean and with what is standard in W8. Every app I can think of has the settings in the Charms menu. It's a nice interface, just a recommendation on what could keep it clean.

Morgan

Today I had occasion to use the Table function, and I found it a little awkward. Can you add a function which allows the to specify the number of rows and columns?

Displaying the Font Color button with the color of the currently selected font color would also be a nice touch.

OP
G

goodintentions

The reason I say to remove it and put it in the Charms is because it's a matter of keeping the UI Clean and with what is standard in W8. Every app I can think of has the settings in the Charms menu. It's a nice interface, just a recommendation on what could keep it clean.
You're right. I'll move it to he charms.

I just remember I added the insert image option weeks ago. It's in the radial menu.

Speaking of radial menu, I've been redesigning it. Making the buttons slightly bigger. Added quite a few more functions. Also reorganized it for easier find of stuff. You'll see.

OP
G

goodintentions

Today I had occasion to use the Table function, and I found it a little awkward. Can you add a function which allows the to specify the number of rows and columns?

Displaying the Font Color button with the color of the currently selected font color would also be a nice touch.
Yes, I've been redesigning the code for the table. Next update, you will choose number of rows and columns before inserting. You can also add columns and rows after inserting. And the table will be fully resizable. You will be able to resize table by dragging the borders. Very cool.

Good idea on displaying current font color on the button! See, I love suggestions. Half of what are in my app are from user suggestions. You suggest, I make it happen. :)

dniezby

You're right. I'll move it to he charms.

I just remember I added the insert image option weeks ago. It's in the radial menu.

Speaking of radial menu, I've been redesigning it. Making the buttons slightly bigger. Added quite a few more functions. Also reorganized it for easier find of stuff. You'll see.

First let me say, I love what you're doing. I could only wish I could code apps. I've been trying to learn cause my head is full of App ideas but I haven't learned where to start.

Second, I LOVE Word but the interface is not very touch friendly. I also HATE that it's a Desktop application. I love MUI and I try to ONLY use Apps that utilize it. Your app will take care of that.

On that basis alone, I will be purchasing it. If not for anything other than to support you because you seem responsive.

Keep up the good work.

OP
G

goodintentions

Hehe, you could throw your ideas my way and I'll see what I can do... if you want to.

This project started after I did a search and couldn't find a single word processor in the store that wasn't anything beyond typical templates. Most claimed to be minimalist writing apps with no formatting as distractions. I say BS. Seems to me like those programmers just didn't care to make a quality word processor. Throw something together and use the minimalist thing as an excuse to not add any function to it. Half of them don't even have a print option. What kind of writing app that can't print?

Morgan

Here's another suggestion: How about if you combine the font attributes into a dialog with preview? This way users can see the font, the size and the color while they are selecting the attributes. This would reduce the number of buttons on the text menu, resulting in a cleaner look as an added benefit. Plus you could leave the separate buttons for each font function for those user who prefer to adjust font attributes that way and maybe even add an option to hide them.

As you may be able to tell I'm a big fan of having multiple ways to accomplish tasks. Let users decide which way they want to do it.

OP
G

goodintentions

Here's another suggestion: How about if you combine the font attributes into a dialog with preview? This way users can see the font, the size and the color while they are selecting the attributes. This would reduce the number of buttons on the text menu, resulting in a cleaner look as an added benefit. Plus you could leave the separate buttons for each font function for those user who prefer to adjust font attributes that way and maybe even add an option to hide them.

As you may be able to tell I'm a big fan of having multiple ways to accomplish tasks. Let users decide which way they want to do it.
Good idea! Thank you.

dniezby

I like Morgan's idea but again, it's getting away from the clean NON-Cluttered work area that WOS8 Apps Provide. Remember, Screen real estate is important; especially if not entirely for a product that is geared toward a "touch" device.

IF it were me, I would add those features (and even the current buttons) into the Swipe down menu. This way, you could put ALL features you want and keep the Surface (a little pun intended) clean without losing anything and maintaining the work area.

Maybe, it would be better, if in the settings menu, there were an option to show / hide those quick things to the cool little pop up menu...(I forget what it's technically called. The cool little round one.)

That way you solve two problems. One, keep the work area clutter free and clean. Two, keep the individual's favorite menu items a "touch" away.

OP
G

goodintentions

I like Morgan's idea but again, it's getting away from the clean NON-Cluttered work area that WOS8 Apps Provide. Remember, Screen real estate is important; especially if not entirely for a product that is geared toward a "touch" device.

IF it were me, I would add those features (and even the current buttons) into the Swipe down menu. This way, you could put ALL features you want and keep the Surface (a little pun intended) clean without losing anything and maintaining the work area.

Maybe, it would be better, if in the settings menu, there were an option to show / hide those quick things to the cool little pop up menu...(I forget what it's technically called. The cool little round one.)

That way you solve two problems. One, keep the work area clutter free and clean. Two, keep the individual's favorite menu items a "touch" away.
I'm iffy about the swipe down menu. Again, my experience tells me most people don't know something exists unless they see it. Back when I worked as a tech support, about half of my calls could be solved by telling people to scroll down or to the right. I even specifically remember a woman calling in with a furious voice telling me the printer I installed for her wasn't showing up in the choices. I had to tell her to scroll to the right side of the printer list.

That's why I've been so hesitant to hide any of the menus.