What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

By the way, I was bored at work today so I browsed through the windows app store. Look what I found :D

1.png

OP
G

goodintentions

Question for you guys.

For the next update, I want to include dictionaries for 21 languages for the real time spell checker function. I selected these languages because of the geography of my app's downloaders. I also selected these languages because some students have requested them for their foreign language classes.

Here's the thing. These dictionaries have bloated my app up to about 15 mb. It was 3mb before.

Do you think people would care that my app all of a sudden got 5 times bigger than before? I really want to include all these dictionaries in my app. But I'm also not sure how people will receive the new size.

Should I or shouldn't I include these dictionaries?

nnthemperor

Question for you guys.

For the next update, I want to include dictionaries for 21 languages for the real time spell checker function. I selected these languages because of the geography of my app's downloaders. I also selected these languages because some students have requested them for their foreign language classes.

Here's the thing. These dictionaries have bloated my app up to about 15 mb. It was 3mb before.

Do you think people would care that my app all of a sudden got 5 times bigger than before? I really want to include all these dictionaries in my app. But I'm also not sure how people will receive the new size.

Should I or shouldn't I include these dictionaries?

I think the utility outweighs the size issue as long as the app still runs smoothly and doesn't lag.

OP
G

goodintentions

I think the utility outweighs the size issue as long as the app still runs smoothly and doesn't lag.
Yeah, no lag at all. I've made sure that the way the dictionaries are handled does not take up too much memory and cpu resources.

This was a major concern of mine when I first started writing this part of the app.

Tsurugaya

I think a better approach is to let users download dictionaries they need, the MB might not be a memory hog, but letting users decide shows that you are on their side and will not shove anything down their collective throats they haven't requested.

OP
G

goodintentions

I think a better approach is to let users download dictionaries they need, the MB might not be a memory hog, but letting users decide shows that you are on their side and will not shove anything down their collective throats they haven't requested.
Thank you for your kind words in the review. I recognized your name there :)

There is a unique problem that comes with letting people download these dictionaries. I ran into this back in my hacker days with a competitor.