What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

Tsurugaya

Well deserved, if it opens up for malware then obviously don't go that route, but explain why you choose to it that way on the apps page. Theatre are always a lot of questions on these forums from user that are nervous about this and that, things that could be avoided if the developer was able to communicate better.

OP
G

goodintentions

I can't afford to pay for a server that can handle lots of traffic. A competitor could use the link to my server for download of the dictionaries and put it in his own app. He can also mess with my bandwidth limit by linking it in his ad. I know this because it has happened to me before. What's worse, I've retaliated in kind.

And everytime the user has to download something from online, there's a chance someone could tag my server to intercept and upload malware to the user.

Some possible future headaches I want to avoid.

OP
G

goodintentions

So, last night I added support for 255 font styles. You heard that right. Some users have emailed me requesting for more fonts.

Have also added find and replace control. The document will highlight all words matching what you put into the find in real time. You can find next, replace, and replace all.

When you use this new version, it will feel like an established word processor like ms word or openoffice.

Sending out update later today.

Morgan

"<HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=utf-8">

<P>I would like to see an option to make the Title Bar of Modern apps behave
like they do in Windows 8.1, i.e. I'd like to see it only when you move the
mouse pointer to the upper edge of the Window. </P>
<P></P>
<P>I also miss IE Modern, especially Reading Mode. </P>"

Can I get Esperanto, Sumerian and Classical Greek?

OP
G

goodintentions

I would like to see an option to make the Title Bar of Modern apps behave
like they do in Windows 8.1, i.e. I'd like to see it only when you move the
mouse pointer to the upper edge of the Window.
Way ahead of you there. New update, which will be sent out tonight and probably be in the store tomorrow, will hide the menu and top title bar when you swipe from top edge if you're using touch, move mouse cursor to top edge of screen and right click, or press on keyboard windows_button+z.

I also miss IE Modern, especially Reading Mode.
Huh? Can you link or explain what this is?

Can I get Esperanto, Sumerian and Classical Greek?
No, no, and no. Haha I don't even know what Esperanto is.

Morgan

Sorry GoodIntentions, that post ended up in the wrong forum. It was about the Windows 10 Technical Preview I installed today.

Anyway I wait to get my hands on your latest version of Modern Word Processor. An I will test it on my Surface Pro 3 running the Windows 10 preview.

Morgan

Esperanto is an artificial language invented by a Polish linguist. It's got a small but dedicated user base and is sometimes used for cross translation where they can't find someone who speaks the source and target language.

OP
G

goodintentions

Sorry GoodIntentions, that post ended up in the wrong forum. It was about the Windows 10 Technical Preview I installed today.

Anyway I wait to get my hands on your latest version of Modern Word Processor. An I will test it on my Surface Pro 3 running the Windows 10 preview.
Ok, thanks! That would be great. Can't wait to transition this app to windows 10.

So, I was this close to clicking the submit button to upload the update. Then last minute test showed up a weird behavior.

Previously, the formatting engine was in rtf. For the latest update, in order make the code flow better, I re-wrote the code in html. I'm more familiar with html than rtf. Anyway, last minute test discovered a big bug. Don't know how I missed this.

And I was all ready to upload the update, too.

Again, I don't know how professional programmers survive the stress. This is a personal venture, and I'm losing all my hair due to it.

Morgan

So GoodIntentions, maybe now you understand why I feel that a subscription is the only way to pay programmers for all the man-hours necessary to develop and maintain good software. People who only want to pay once and then expect a life time of updates, expect software developers to happily be starving artists.

OP
G

goodintentions

So GoodIntentions, maybe now you understand why I feel that a subscription is the only way to pay programmers for all the man-hours necessary to develop and maintain good software. People who only want to pay once and then expect a life time of updates, expect software developers to happily be starving artists.
Haha what's worse is I'm OC about these things. I went to sleep and woke up this morning at 5am with a solution in my head. Sleep does wonders. I'll find the time later today to implement my fix to the bug.

The bug is in relation to the way the app exports the file. I'm making it possible to save as doc, docx, rtf, html, and txt. At some point, any included image becomes corrupted. I think I know why now.

OP
G

goodintentions

Just sent out the update. Here are the things that you will see changed.

First of all, real-time spell checker. You have no idea how many times I banged my head against a brick wall to make this happen. I almost gave up several times, too. What kept me going was the fact that a word processor ain't a real world processor if it couldn't even do a real-time spell check.
2.png

Speaking of real word processor, what's a word processor without the find and replace functionality? Again, I've been banging my head against a brick wall the last 2 weeks to make this happen.
3.png

The user can now save the document directly to doc, docx, rtf, html, or txt. No need for a special export function.

Tables are now resizable. Furthermore, the user now has control over the background colors of table cells. Cells can be combined and divided. Just play around with the controls to see what I mean. I spent a lot of time tweaking the formatting engine to make it work.

Some users have asked for more font style choices. So, rather than pick and choose which fonts to include and which not to include, I decided to include all 255 font styles available.
fontstyles.png

Oh yeah, I've completely redesigned the radial menu. For starter, I've made it slightly bigger. Some users have complained that the old one was too small. If I make it too big, it would take over too much real estate. So, I kept playing around with the layout of the radial menu to until I got it just right. I've also made the radial menu threads more intuitive. And the color of the radial menu will now reflect the color of the theme the user has chosen. Just play around with it to see what I mean.
radialmenu.png

Some users have requested I make it possible to hide the menu buttons and top title bar. So, with the newest update, the user can swipe down from the top to hide the title bar and the menu buttons. Do it again to bring back the title bar and menu buttons. The user can also achieve this with a mouse by moving the cursor all the way up to the top edge and right click. On keyboard, it's the windows key + z.
fullscreen.png

From now on, every time the user closes a file, the app will ask to save or not.

I've included an instruction file in the global menu. For now, it's not much of an instruction. I put it together in about 15 minutes. I'll try to write a more comprehensive one later for the next update.

Over all, much hard work has been put into this latest update. I'm proud of my work. I hope you will like it.

Remember, if you find a bug, please tell me. I won't know unless you tell me.

Also keep in mind that I'm one guy with an old laptop. I'm trying to make this app as close to MS word as I can, but given that MS has billions of dollars and tens of thousands of software engineers... just give me a break where you can.

Don't forget to give me suggestions :)

Last edited: