What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

OP
G

goodintentions

So, I've sent out an update that includes a translator. The translator supports 45 languages. You decide what in-out languages are. The translator will translate an entire paper. Just open up a document, choose in-out languages, and press the translate button. The app will create a new document and spit out the translated texts into the new document. Here are some screenshots of this new feature. I translated into Japanese and Spanish. Hopefully the translations are accurate... I don't read either of these languages.

translator1.png

translator2.png

translator3.png

nnthemperor

I think you should go easy on trying to laden your app with more features and focus on making it do the basic functions very well. Tried making a lesson plan with it, was really cumbersome. One reason I bought it was the better hand drawing implementation, so I made the lesson plan on MS word and opened it in your app. Adding the drawing too was a hit and miss and it took me a while 10 minutes to finally get it right. Maybe because I was dealing with tables. After I opened the document in MS it was not so much a mess, but let's just say that I had to take some time again to rearrange the layout of the entire document. Still good job with the drawing feature, it's very useful.

Tsurugaya

If I change language it will underline words in the new language as misspelled. There are a few minor issues like that.

OP
G

goodintentions

I think you should go easy on trying to laden your app with more features and focus on making it do the basic functions very well. Tried making a lesson plan with it, was really cumbersome. One reason I bought it was the better hand drawing implementation, so I made the lesson plan on MS word and opened it in your app. Adding the drawing too was a hit and miss and it took me a while 10 minutes to finally get it right. Maybe because I was dealing with tables. After I opened the document in MS it was not so much a mess, but let's just say that I had to take some time again to rearrange the layout of the entire document. Still good job with the drawing feature, it's very useful.
Yes. I'm dedicating the next month perfecting the existing features.

OP
G

goodintentions

Ok, just got home. Left my office early because I'm feeling sick.

Table formatting is the bane for my app. I'll try to come up with better code for it. In the mean time...

Regarding the layout, this is the one area that is unavoidable, especially when there are special things like bullets and tables. Everyone codes these things differently. I have no idea how MS codes them for MS office. The way mine works is I render them in html and then I use a different engine to translate them to doc, docx, or whatever else the user saves it in.

I'll keep working on these things. But if anyone is willing to donate me a couple of billion dollars *ahem* to fund for my project, I could finally compete with MS :p

But yeah, I'm postponing adding in new features for now. I will dedicate the next few weeks fine grading the existing stuff.

OP
G

goodintentions

Can you tell me what's wrong with the drawing feature? How should I refine it to make it better?

nnthemperor

Apart from the occasional phantom strokes and the lag, drawing itself is OK. But after inserting, selecting the picture to resize was a hit and miss. Tried several times without any response. Then again it could have been the tables thing I was working with. Basically I found it hard to make an accurate stroke while drawing on the canvass because of the phantom strokes.

OP
G

goodintentions

Apart from the occasional phantom strokes and the lag, drawing itself is OK. But after inserting, selecting the picture to resize was a hit and miss. Tried several times without any response. Then again it could have been the tables thing I was working with. Basically I found it hard to make an accurate stroke while drawing on the canvass because of the phantom strokes.
Ok. Let me concentrate on it for a while.

OP
G

goodintentions

I've been drawing many different strokes with many different colors on top of each other. Using lenovo miix 2 x86 system with atom processor. I can't replicate what you're saying.

Can you be more specific? Perhaps attach a screenshot of what you're trying to draw and the specs of your system. I can't fix if I don't observe it.

OP
G

goodintentions

I sent out an update late last night. Did not add anything major. Just a bunch of little refinements. Surprisingly, MS certified it within 2 hours and it is now in the windows store for download. It used to take days for my app to get through. At some point, they started kicking my app back asking for explanations on why I've put in certain things. Nowadays, they just let my app go right through the certification process. Perhaps I've been put on some kind of trust list? Anyway, here are some of the things I've done with this update.

• The translator will now automatically change the real time spell checker to the language that the text is outputting to.
  • Swiping down from the top edge now gives the user a completely full screen experience. Both top and bottom bars will hide.
  • Under the file menu, there is now an option to change the view from page/print to draft/fullscreen.
  • The user can now change the size of the page to the appropriate sizes of print-outs. I'm not talking about zoom. So, say the user's printer can print out 11" x 17" pages, he can change the size of the pages to 11" x 17". Or he can change to 4" x 6" or whatever sizes he wants.
pagesize.png

• This is probably a bad idea... but I've put in a link to my email for direct support. Just click on it and the mail app should open with my email in send box. I'm taking this out if people start abusing this.
  • I've wrapped everything that can crash in try-catch blocks. This should significantly reduce the chances of crashes.
  • The save document functions have been stabilized. I'm working toward solving some compatibility issues with MS word.
  • Oh, by the way, if no one has noticed, multi-page view support in the screenshot above. I shamelessly copied MS word's behavior there.
Aside from those things above, I've also made a bunch of little changes in the code. Everything is working toward better stability and user experience.

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

Continuing to refine the app...

Double tapping or double clicking the bottom tab bar will scroll the document to the bottom. Double tapping or double clicking the top title bar will scroll the app to the top. Or you could press ctrl + up or ctrl+down to get the same effects.

Just added night view mode.
nitemode.png

Found and fixed a crash bug.

Reinforced stability of formatting engine.

A few other things...

A few days ago, a tech blogger contacted me asking if he could write a review of my app. I thought that was great so I said sure thing. Then I visited his website and... it's in Italian.