What's new

MS could have launched and advertised the SB better

BearFlag

In general I'm very pleased with my SB purchase . I had several glitches before the firmware updates but things have panned out well now (knock on wood).

However I think that MS rushed the launch of the SB a bit (sending reviewers and early users the device pre-maturely with no firmware updates) and was too bullish on the device's potential (stating that the device is twice as fast as the MacBook and selling it as the ultimate laptop/hybrid device). The former has mostly been solved with firmware updates while the latter point is theatrically true in certain instances only. This caused the SB to get a bad reception from some reviewers and a lot users (Reddit, this forum, etc.)

I think if they would have waited a week or two, fixed some the software glitches pre-shipment and advertised the device as a great laptop\hybrid (as opposed to being so much better than Apple) then I think the SB would have been received a lot better.

Again I really like my device but I think a lot of consumers might have been turned off initially when they might have actually liked it if they gave it a chance after all these firmware updates.

CMD

In general I'm very pleased with my SB purchase . I had several glitches before the firmware updates but things have panned out well now (knock on wood).

However I think that MS rushed the launch of the SB a bit (sending reviewers and early users the device pre-maturely with no firmware updates) and was too bullish on the device's potential (stating that the device is twice as fast as the MacBook and selling it as the ultimate laptop/hybrid device). The former has mostly been solved with firmware updates while the latter point is theatrically true in certain instances only. This caused the SB to get a bad reception from some reviewers and a lot users (Reddit, this forum, etc.)

I think if they would have waited a week or two, fixed some the software glitches pre-shipment and advertised the device as a great laptop\hybrid (as opposed to being so much better than Apple) then I think the SB would have been received a lot better.

Again I really like my device but I think a lot of consumers might have been turned off initially when they might have actually liked it if they gave it a chance after all these firmware updates.

I'm pretty sure that SurfaceBook sales is not their goal with the "Bullish" statements they made. Hardware sales will always be second to their software (like apple macbook sales is a far second to their phones, music, and ipads).

What they wanted, and got, is thousands of people talking/arguing about Microsoft again. Hype is great for them; their premium hardware sales are also an image thing. Being seen as an innovator is more important than hardware profits, so they can sell more software.

Don't get me wrong; the cheaper Surface RT and entry level Pro's combined with the SurfaceBook and hier level Pro's will make them some nice income (especially if handled right), but I don't think they will ever hold a candle to Windows, and Games for Windows Live + Xbox sales.

In numbers: 2014 operating Revenue was 26.5 Billion; of that surface sales (Pro and RT) was 500 Million. (Apple sold 9 Billion worth in iPads)

mtalinm

If you are new to Surface products then you may not familiar with Panos Panay's reputation as an exaggerator. SEveral reviews have criticized his twice-as-fast-as-MacBook-pro claim as pretty much a lie.

Niterider4

I would have trouble taking seriously anything that Panos Panay says after this product launch. Grandiose not-quite-true performance claims, semi-misleading comparisons, general unfettered braggadacio, and then a poorly thought out and poorly executed product launch. Over-promise. Under-deliver.

My conclusion from this experience: MS is just another manufacturer/retailer trying to scam me out of my hard earned money by making false and misleading product claims. It might get me to buy a computer once, like it did this time, but I'll be much more cautious before buying hardware from MS next time.

The most disappointing thing for me (and what MS should be taking to heart) is that with a little less bluff and bluster, and a little more quality control and testing, MS could easily have blown my socks off with this product.

tdf2001

I would have trouble taking seriously anything that Panos Panay says after this product launch. Grandiose not-quite-true performance claims, semi-misleading comparisons, general unfettered braggadacio, and then a poorly thought out and poorly executed product launch. Over-promise. Under-deliver.
This!

The Surface Book is the most unstable computing device I have ever owned.