What's new

MS replaced Surface Book - Finally died

ericspt

My SB died last night, or as close to dying as it was going to get.

After the 12/17 update I had great luck for about 2 days with wake from sleep.

Then I started to get INTERAL_POWER_ERROR BSOD's. I had gotten a few over the few months I've had it but after the 12/17 update there was a pattern.

Seemed like when it went into power saver mode it crashed. Plugging it into power or removing the power would cause is to crash. It got to the point it was happening 2-3 times per day.

Last night it happened 7 times in a row on boot up.

I was going to go to MS today but figured I would dump it and reload it first just to be sure since I had the fast track turned on. It got a BSOD doing the Windows recovery install.

After that I got some unrecoverable error and could not get back into recovery. If you let it sit on that error for 30-60 seconds after boot it would BSOD with the same power error.

I pulled it out of my bag to show the tech and it BSOD'd right there in front of them.

Very easy, they just swapped it out for me with an identical model they had in stock. Hopefully this one is better, still cannot install the 12/17 update. Battery was dead and still waiting for it to charge.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bad situation made better by Microsoft.
Glad to hear it.

Hope you had OneDrive syncing with ALL your stuff.

OP
E

ericspt

Bad situation made better by Microsoft.
Glad to hear it.

Hope you had OneDrive syncing with ALL your stuff.

Well it lasted about 10 minutes after I posted this. Screen went to sleep, woke it up and mouse would not respond. So I undocked it, and POOF INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR.

All I put on it was Office 365, did not even join it to my domain yet.

I do not keep any data on the laptop at all. It's all in SharePoint, mirrored with our server, and Exchange for email.

I've even tried different chargers just to make sure, problem occurred across all of them.