What's new

Must have to purchase Surface Pro

NGC

1. The ability to play all flash video. Everyday for the past year I have cursed the lack of flash on this Ipad Toy I own.
2. It must provide a solid Google Map experience with street view.
3. I must be able to load videos in .avi or .mp4 to view on the Surface Pro.
4. I must be able to purchase a plastic cover to protect the screen.
5. I must be able to expand the 128gb memory.
6. It must be able to sit on my lap without having to hold it. The Ipad Smart Cover is useless.
7. I hate Apps. They all are reduced versions with limitations. If the Surface Pro allows me to use Chrome or Firefox like I do on my desktop I will be happy.
8. Four hour battery life is good enough for me, but it better be four hours.

If I can satisfy my 8 concerns I will order a Surface Pro.

TeknoBlast

1 through 3, yes you'll be able to accomplish this with the Pro.
4 - I say get the Touch KB or buy a sleeve. I have both and are great.
5 - Yes, it has a microSD slot. Up to 64GB
6 - I've had it in my lap with the kickstand open and it's not bad but it's preferred to be used on a flat surface like a table.
7 - Yes, you can install Chrome or FF.
8 - There hasnt been an official battery life span, but I think you will get 4 hours at least.

With that said, better be there on Saturday and buy it. :)

SopranoSV

1. The ability to play all flash video. Everyday for the past year I have cursed the lack of flash on this Ipad Toy I own.
2. It must provide a solid Google Map experience with street view.
3. I must be able to load videos in .avi or .mp4 to view on the Surface Pro.
4. I must be able to purchase a plastic cover to protect the screen.
6. It must be able to sit on my lap without having to hold it. The Ipad Smart Cover is useless.
7. I hate Apps. They all are reduced versions with limitations. If the Surface Pro allows me to use Chrome or Firefox like I do on my desktop I will be happy.
8. Four hour battery life is good enough for me, but it better be four hours.

If I can satisfy my 8 concerns I will order a Surface Pro.

Buy it!!! And then share your experience...

Russ

6. It must be able to sit on my lap without having to hold it.

NGC --

Items 1, 2 & 3 are nicely covered by a visit to a desktop machine running Win8-Pro. That's really what the Surface Pro is.

Item 4: Microsoft Store sells what they call a "Self-healing" cover for the Surface. I have already ordered one for my Ladyfriend's Pro. Haven't received it yet, so can't report on it.

Item 5: Unless you accept the 64G SDC card as "expansion," you're stuck there.

Item 6: Don't know what that means. Talk it over with your lap.

I'll know more on Saturday when I pick up her Pro.

Regards,
Russ

bosamar

Item #7. IMO apps serve a very useful purpose. I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't use any. They are small and compact (taking up less HDD space which is very important on tablets) and nearly all serve a specific purpose. I'm happy to see that gadgets have gone away and the future is apps.

OP
N

NGC

Fantastic responses thank you. I need the Pro to work like a Desktop and by these replies it will.
On the topic of putting the Surface on your lap I had forgotten that I tried an RT and the Microsoft guy suggested turning the cover\keyboard back and opening up the stand. This makes it more stable on your lap but you do have to use the screen keyboard.

Apps I find are so limiting in comparison to a desktop.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

I dont think the Surface Pro as a total replacement to any desktop. It can compliment it, but not replace it. Just like with a laptop, it's nice to have when mobile (before tablets existed), but for real more computing power and multiple screen setup, a desktop can never be beat.

If I ever get a Surface Pro, then the Pro will replace my laptop, but not my desktop.

Russ

If I ever get a Surface Pro, then the Pro will replace my laptop, but not my desktop.

Darth --

Those are my thoughts, exactly. If I were suddenly to become the unwitting owner of a Pro, my daughter would get a new laptop along with her iPad.

It could happen with this current project. One just never knows.

Take care,
Russ

OP
N

NGC

I just came back from an hour with the Pro at Best Buy. They had a 64gb but if Im going all in it will be a 128gb.
Impressions:
1. It is not heavy justa bit heavier than the RT beside it.
2. It was warm when I picked it up but an hour later it was cooler. Heat is not an issue.
3. I was having trouble closing open apps. What I didn't realize is how fast they were closing with ram and SSD.
4. I really prefer the type pad for a cover.
5. Flash played wonderfully and Google Street View was smooth.
6. I even liked the screen keyboard with all its different and varied settings.
The Surface Pro is definitely the future.
This Surface Pro is truly a computer that I have been waiting for.