What's new

Need some advice...

vortech

So I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Surface Pro 3 but it does not come with a receipt (it was a gift I guess).
Will the warranty still be valid without a receipt? Can I still purchase the extended warranty without a receipt? Should I be concerned in general?
Thanks in advance for your help.

ctitanic

I'm not sure but I think that the warranty goes by the online registration. But to be sure, call MS Tech Support.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know the person? If the price to good to be true? If the answer is No and Yes, I would be worried, if it is Yes and Yes would be cautious and if it is No and No or Yes and No...go for it....

ipaq_101

You would need a receipt to prove that it has not been past 45 days since the date of purchase to buy the warranty. Otherwise people can just say 6 months down the line I bought this and I have no receipt, please sell me a warranty, right?

When I bought my warranty online, they linked my account with my order and when I went to swap out my unit and called MS support, they asked to provide an order number and told me to take the receipt to the store.

That has been my experience, maybe you might be able to get one without a receipt, I don't know.

Try it and let us know if you do.

jbowden

Costco has SquareTrade deal for 79.00. I say go for it and if MS does not allow the extended coverage, go visit Costco.

ipaq_101

Yep. they will sell you a warranty in about 1 1/2 minutes, but when you actually try to put in a claim, you have to fax or upload the receipt to them.

It does make sense, otherwise some unethical people would just order used or non-working condition items on ebay and keep on claiming them. Or then people would but the warranty right after their product breaks.

They have to protect themselves from fraud and abusive practices one way or another.

malberttoo

It does make sense, otherwise some unethical people would just order used or non-working condition items on ebay and keep on claiming them. Or then people would but the warranty right after their product breaks.

They have to protect themselves from fraud and abusive practices one way or another.

Oh for sure! I'm not saying anything bad about them in any way! Just pointing out that you can buy the warranty without any kind of documentation at all. BUT when you go to put a claim in, you will definitely need your receipt.

Connor Ryan

Costco has SquareTrade deal for 79.00. I say go for it and if MS does not allow the extended coverage, go visit Costco.

FYI you must purchase the computer or tablet from costco in order to buy the square trade. Only TV square trade can be purchased for non costco TVs.

Kif

I won't drop that kind of money without a receipt. As the old saying goes if something's too good to be true it probably is.