What's new

New SP3 Kickstand Wiggle

I'll admit that's one sweet hinge on the HP. The build quality seems quite high - although I'm not a fan of the screen aspect ratio (16:9). The features and value offered are impressive.

Agreed - I'd have been tempted by that machine if not for the horrible Beats bezels they've stuck on the left and right of it. Right away makes it impractical to carry around and pretty much limits it, at least in my scenario, to around the house usage. Interestingly enough, the keyboard on it also improves on the typecover to some extent, as the top portion is magnetic and locks to the screen when closed - feel like MS will copy this as well on the SP4.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

I've had HP laptops in the past and liked their quality then. I really was blown away by this Envy X2 - they i7 8g plus solid build all for $899. The Beats didn't bother me on concept alone, it just made the thing wider than I'm comfortable with. The keyboard looked great too.

kristalsoldier

I'll admit that's one sweet hinge on the HP. The build quality seems quite high - although I'm not a fan of the screen aspect ratio (16:9). The features and value offered are impressive.

Yeps...that aspect ratio is the killer for me. Also, I am not sure how it compares with the SP3 in terms of weight. But honestly, I think the SP3's hinge is an elegant solution all things considered and in terms of carrying profile, the SP3 seems to be a more convenient device than the Envy - the caveat being that I have not seen the Envy except in pics.

ptrkhh

Mine exhibits the exact same issue. Plus the kickstand plays a little bit when closed. I can't see it, but I can feel it when I hold it in portrait. I added some layers of tape on the kickstand part of the hinge, and its gone. (look at the pic)
As a bonus, it has a little bit of a friction before the magnet catches the kickstand. It now feels a little more substantial when I close the kickstand.

And I have one question, mine has less friction between the the 90 degrees "Surface 2 mode" and 150 degrees "Canvas mode" compared to the other positions. Please confirm
WP_20141220_004.jpg

OP
tskwara

tskwara

The Envy is noticeably heavier than the SP3 - it felt 1.5X heavier - didn't check the weight spec though. If I remember right the keyboard is brown I think - kind of reminiscent of the old HP calculator days. I think the aspect ratio and bump in weight may keep eyes focused on the SP3.

The SP3 is quite svelte - important if using as a tablet for sure.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

And I have one question, mine has less friction between the the 90 degrees "Surface 2 mode" and 150 degrees "Canvas mode" compared to the other positions. Please confirm

Yes, mine has slightly less friction once rotated past 90 deg towards the full open canvas mode.