What's new

New Owner. A Mistake?

OP
Q

qwst

I'm still curious as to what your comment about One System Care was about.

I think I downloaded something I shouldn't've (like some sort of malware) so One System Care kept popping up telling me there's hundreds of things that I need to clean.

Since the reset, the surface has been nothing but a pleasure to use! I think my initial concerns were from that malicious download that seemed to screw everything up and from being away from windows for so long

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Was just trying to understand if it was something that came installed on the system (hence wondering if it was new or second hand). It is basically malware, it'll dig deep into your system, start messing with your browser etc, all in the name of convincing you there is something wrong and to pay for the full version. It is often hidden away as a bundled bit of software with additional software, like when all those old internet explorer search bars you'd inadvertently install while installing a new media player.

And yeah, as annoying as it is (and it should not be this way!) a system reset is quite often the cure for many surface ailments. But it's better than nothing.

Glad to hear that things are picking up. When they work, they are brilliant, but alas some people do suffer from hugely irritating issues that few others experience. I think myself as very lucky that mine have all been fairly flawless. My education depends on the surface :)

OP
Q

qwst

Thanks. Was just trying to understand if it was something that came installed on the system (hence wondering if it was new or second hand). It is basically malware, it'll dig deep into your system, start messing with your browser etc, all in the name of convincing you there is something wrong and to pay for the full version. It is often hidden away as a bundled bit of software with additional software, like when all those old internet explorer search bars you'd inadvertently install while installing a new media player.

And yeah, as annoying as it is (and it should not be this way!) a system reset is quite often the cure for many surface ailments. But it's better than nothing.

Glad to hear that things are picking up. When they work, they are brilliant, but alas some people do suffer from hugely irritating issues that few others experience. I think myself as very lucky that mine have all been fairly flawless. My education depends on the surface :)

What are you studying?

I've already picked up several scratches and one huge scrape running down the rear camera to the edge. :(

Also wanted to confirm whether or not the keyboard can or cannot wake my sp3.
And if the keyboard can, then how would you wake the sp3 when the keyboard is not attached?

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you studying?

I've already picked up several scratches and one huge scrape running down the rear camera to the edge. :(

Also wanted to confirm whether or not the keyboard can or cannot wake my sp3.
And if the keyboard can, then how would you wake the sp3 when the keyboard is not attached?

Just about to start final year of business management and psychology.

Regarding the keyboard, it seems like it is hit and miss. Some people are unable to do it (but in most instances I come across, the user seems to have other significant issues with their machine as well), other are. My surfaces will wake up via the keyboard quite happily, although it takes multiple key presses. Not sure if this is a bug, or a "safety" measure to stop you accidentally waking it up, like with tablets whose power switch has to be held to power it on. When the keyboard is not attached, you simply press the power button as normal.

And don't know if the scratch was just a freak accident, or you're clumsy by nature, but if the latter, might be worth checking out stickerboy or decalgirl. Some great options for protecting your devices and making it a little bit more personal.

OP
Q

qwst

Just about to start final year of business management and psychology.

Regarding the keyboard, it seems like it is hit and miss. Some people are unable to do it (but in most instances I come across, the user seems to have other significant issues with their machine as well), other are. My surfaces will wake up via the keyboard quite happily, although it takes multiple key presses. Not sure if this is a bug, or a "safety" measure to stop you accidentally waking it up, like with tablets whose power switch has to be held to power it on. When the keyboard is not attached, you simply press the power button as normal.

And don't know if the scratch was just a freak accident, or you're clumsy by nature, but if the latter, might be worth checking out stickerboy or decalgirl. Some great options for protecting your devices and making it a little bit more personal.

Oh nice. Finish strong and good luck.

About the keyboard wake function, since I'm unable to wake it using the keyboard I'm not doing any harm by using the power button to wake it correct? It sometimes seems to take a little longer than I'd like for an SSD to wake. I usually put it to sleep using the start button or simply close the keyboard. On some of my other devices (MBAir) It wakes almost immediate when I pop open the clamshell.

Also about the scratches I have no idea. I'm very careful with my electronics. There is literally hundreds of micro scratches everywhere. It has its on case/sleeve that then goes into my backpack and onto my motorbike. It's an eye sore but not the end of the world. Just wondered how it got so scratched up within a month of using it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Oh nice. Finish strong and good luck.

About the keyboard wake function, since I'm unable to wake it using the keyboard I'm not doing any harm by using the power button to wake it correct? It sometimes seems to take a little longer than I'd like for an SSD to wake. I usually put it to sleep using the start button or simply close the keyboard. On some of my other devices (MBAir) It wakes almost immediate when I pop open the clamshell.

Also about the scratches I have no idea. I'm very careful with my electronics. There is literally hundreds of micro scratches everywhere. It has its on case/sleeve that then goes into my backpack and onto my motorbike. It's an eye sore but not the end of the world. Just wondered how it got so scratched up within a month of using it.
Using the power button won't damage the Surface....

Just a suggestion to anyone who wants to get a better battery life AND make your SP3/SP4 run much cooler so the fan does not kick in.

You can limit the max CPU to something like 80% (I've messed around and 80% seems perfect) so the turbo does not kick in. This will prolong your battery life and make the device run much cooler.

I've made the change on my SP3 and now SP4 and it makes a huge difference.

NO MORE THROTTLE OR FANS surface pro 3/4 - Windows Central Forums

OP
Q

qwst

Quick update:

Happy to say 95% of my issues have been resolved more or less and now My sp3 has become my new favorite computing device. So much so that I'm contemplating selling my 27" iMac and run my sp3 as my all in one machine ie tab, laptop, & desktop.

I was pricing out what I could get for my iMac against the price of an external 29-34 inch 2560x1440 displays (or higher), surface dock and would still come out on top with some beer money.

I know there are threads on this topic, but none that are recent. Has anyone here done this? I'm thinking 21:9 ultrawide 34" monitor. Do you regret it? What were some challenges you ran into?

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here, most of your issues are not normal so hopefully the rest fixed for you. For me tho, the app store was a killer especially for many of the apps I truly need in a tablet for grad school...Load an android emulator so you can get the android apps as well....I use amiduos which gives you a full android OS but Bluestacks works well too...

yonghong

I agree with everyone here, most of your issues are not normal so hopefully the rest fixed for you. For me tho, the app store was a killer especially for many of the apps I truly need in a tablet for grad school...Load an android emulator so you can get the android apps as well....I use amiduos which gives you a full android OS but Bluestacks works well too...

How do you install it, my sp3 even can't boot with a android DVD disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro