What's new

New to windows 8 - just got MS surface pro-give some tips

machistmo

Where are the JP1505P and others to suggest Acronis and walk-throughs here??? Slammed me for not liking them or using them when my surface updates FAIL every single time they release patches, but are SILENT as door-knobs when someone straight up asks for help with the very thing they will later claim is the users fault for not having done. AWESOME. I use them and hate that MS makes it a reality... Get used to resetting your device more than an Apple iPad or iPhone and keep nothing the means anything to you on this device.

malberttoo

Where are the JP1505P and others to suggest Acronis and walk-throughs here???

We're here of course, you just beat us to it. Probably other time zones, and all that.

i think microsoft surface pro isnt preloaded with any antivirus????
isnt it? if so, which one i shd go for? i m using bitdefender & norton in my desktop & notebook...

Find something decent! I don't like any of Norton's stuff, it's all fat and bloated. If you're not the kind that clicks on every single thing that comes across your screen, then download Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free and decent. If you don't trust yourself to keep your machine clean, then throw down some $$ and get Nod32 from eset.com. Lots of people still like the free version of AVG antivirus, but it's fallen out of favor with me.

And like Machistmo said, if you're looking for a good imaging/disk backup solution, we like True Image from Acronis.

Hope it helps!

malberttoo

Windows 8 has Security Essentials built into Defender.

I did not know that! But I Googled it, and you sir are correct! From Windows 8 | Security Features (which, oddly enough, required me to log in)...

"In Windows 8, Windows Defender replaces Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender runs in the background and notifies you when you need to take specific action. However, you can use it anytime to scan for malware if your computer isn’t working properly or you clicked a suspicious link online or in an email message."

The have a screenshot of "Windows Defender", and it is obviously a re-branded Security Essentials.

Thanks for the info!