What's new

Official Windows 10 Insiders thread

GTiceman

All you former Technical Preview persons:

Go to your www.microsoft.com account and check out Devices. You will probably find multiple entries for the same device serial number, including what version of Windows and Build. Microsoft uses this device list to coordinate your syncing. I have noticed that my login speed has greatly improved after cleaning up this list, by removing devices.

I have two machines running Windows 10 - a Surface Pro 3 and a MacBook via Parallels. Each had multiple entries, to the point that there were 11 devices on my list. Cut back to the two.
I noticed this the other day. Haven't cleaned it up yet.

rkz

Anyone else see the pencil in the photos app and think it is for stylus input?. It's gotten me more than once. I'd love it if that ability was actually baked in. I am being taunted

wynand32

I'm not sure if this is where we're posting such things, but I figure since my SP3 is still a part of Windows Insiders, I'll go ahead and post here. Strangest thing happened this morning, first time in forever (since many builds ago): I was sitting at my desktop with the system fans and my floor fan running, and heard this really high-pitched fan noise that I couldn't place. Then I realized it's my SP3 sitting there, supposedly asleep/hibernated since last night, with the fans spinning like crazy.

Nothing in Task Manager accounting for it (CPU at around 2%), just the fans going like they have nothing better to do. Weird, and I hope it's not a harbinger of some problem.

GTiceman

I'm not sure if this is where we're posting such things, but I figure since my SP3 is still a part of Windows Insiders, I'll go ahead and post here. Strangest thing happened this morning, first time in forever (since many builds ago): I was sitting at my desktop with the system fans and my floor fan running, and heard this really high-pitched fan noise that I couldn't place. Then I realized it's my SP3 sitting there, supposedly asleep/hibernated since last night, with the fans spinning like crazy.

Nothing in Task Manager accounting for it (CPU at around 2%), just the fans going like they have nothing better to do. Weird, and I hope it's not a harbinger of some problem.

I have not had any fan issues on mine so I don't think it is normal and hopefully doesn't happen again

wynand32

I have not had any fan issues on mine so I don't think it is normal and hopefully doesn't happen again

Actually, I spoke to soon. Just happened again. It was asleep, then at some point woke up and the fan started spinning like mad while nothing was showing up in Task Manager. Note that I was connected to power both times, and so that might be related.

It's a huge bummer, though, because now I'm back being very nervous about the idea of leaving it sleeping anywhere.

GTiceman

Actually, I spoke to soon. Just happened again. It was asleep, then at some point woke up and the fan started spinning like mad while nothing was showing up in Task Manager. Note that I was connected to power both times, and so that might be related.

It's a huge bummer, though, because now I'm back being very nervous about the idea of leaving it sleeping anywhere.
I would probably do a refresh. Don't know how much you have installed.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My battery life is just fine, and the only Surface Pro 3 fan heard around my house is me.

Screenshot (140).png

Screenshot (141).png

lhauser

All you former Technical Preview persons:

Go to your www.microsoft.com account and check out Devices. You will probably find multiple entries for the same device serial number, including what version of Windows and Build. Microsoft uses this device list to coordinate your syncing. I have noticed that my login speed has greatly improved after cleaning up this list, by removing devices.

I have two machines running Windows 10 - a Surface Pro 3 and a MacBook via Parallels. Each had multiple entries, to the point that there were 11 devices on my list. Cut back to the two.

Looks to me like I need to be careful about which ones I delete. I need to look at my machine when I get home to determine which one of those is the current version of Windows.